Andrew Sullivan: There is No Waking Up Now

In between live blogging the Republican National Convention for New York Magazine's Daily Intelligencer, Andrew Sullivan posted this sober realization on his Facebook page:
In between live blogging the Republican National Convention for New York Magazine's Daily Intelligencer, Andrew Sullivan posted this sober realization on his Facebook page:

In between live blogging the Republican National Convention for New York Magazine's Daily Intelligencer, Andrew Sullivan posted this sober realization on his Facebook page:

Taking a walk this evening, it occurred to me, given the chaotic, careening shitshow we watched last night, that maybe there was still time to run someone else. And then I got back and saw the news of the nomination finally, formally secure.

So this is it. This is really happening. There is no waking up now.

It would be fair to say that with Trump's nomination, the Republican Party as we know it is officially over. Whatever this grotesque aberration is, it has nothing to do with conservatism, nothing to do with democracy, and nothing to do with any concept of a decent civilization.

This is not to excuse the previous Republican administrations or the bunch of clowns currently residing in Congress, but this is something entirely different. One the of two mainstream political parties in America is now being led by an actual fascist -- a political idiot who understands almost nothing of international diplomacy, nothing about the history of his own country, and nothing about the functioning of government. Trump is man openly committed to torture, a racist misogynist who publicly brags about his penis size, lies on an hourly basis and has offended every minority in America.

As Sullivan says, this is no dream -- it really is happening and decent Americans everywhere need to do everything in their power to stop him.