Trump Thinks You're the Real Racist For Accusing Trump of Racism

Put another way: "I know you are but what am I?!"
Put another way: "I know you are but what am I?!"

When I compared Donald Trump to Francis Buxton, Pee-wee Herman's entitled man-child nemesis in Pee-wee's Big Adventure, I didn't think he'd so quickly vindicate my observation by engaging in an "I know you are but what am I?" counterattack. But he did, and it's obvious to everyone outside of Trump's most brainwashed stormtroopers that his racist blurtations against Judge Gonzalo Curiel should be a fatal error, even though it probably won't be.

The reason it won't be is because, naturally, the existence of the conservative entertainment complex and its ongoing backstopping of their clown-wigged candidate who's apparently endowed with "the best words." Reasonable doubt is a powerful thing, and they'll scramble this story around enough so that it probably won't stick.

And Trump himself is getting the ball rolling.

In case you're just joining us, Trump attacked Judge Curiel, who's presiding over the infamous Trump University case alleging that the GOP presidential nominee committed fraud against his enrollees. Trump repeatedly referred to the judge's nationality as "Mexican," even though Curiel is from Indiana. And, as Jake Tapper determined last week, Trump believes that because Curiel is "Mexican," he can't do his job, which, by definition is racist, regardless of the fact that Curiel is from Indiana. It's Trump's contention that because he's called for a wall between the U.S. and Mexico complete with "a big beautiful door," the judge is seeking retribution against him.

However, as Bloomberg reported on Monday, at some point in the last several days, an alleged order went out to Trump campaign surrogates, instructing them to stop talking about Trump's Curiel remarks. When Trump learned of the order via Bloomberg reporters, Trump reportedly said, "Take that order and throw it the hell out."

Trump went on to accuse some of his staffers, presumably, of not being "so smart":

Trump purportedly told surrogates over the phone that he was unaware of whoever sent out the memo and expounded, “Are there any other stupid letters that were sent to you folks? That’s one of the reasons I want to have this call, because you guys are getting sometimes stupid information from people that aren’t so smart.”

And then Trump went Full Francis on the Bloomberg team, blurting, "The people asking the questions—those are the racists. I would go at 'em."

Trump not only countermanded an order from his own top staffers to avoid discussion of an obviously racist series of remarks, but he's effectively given them the greenlight to be equally as racist. On top of that, Trump used the tired old trope about how those who see racism are, in fact, the real racists. In other words, Trump isn't a racist for clearly stating that a judge of Mexican ethnicity is incapable of doing his job because of that ethnicity, yet anyone who defines his remarks as racist are, in fact, the real racists.

Yes, Donald J. Trump, age six, who said he has "the best words" and who really said, "I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things," (I'm not making that up) has wheeled out the complex rhetorical jujitsu known as "I know you are but what am I." Everyone's a racist except Trump, who's obviously quite racist -- I mean, there really isn't even any question. His entire success is built upon demonizing Mexicans, Muslims and the first African-American president. Toss in "misogynist," and that's Trump's whole thing.

But he's not any of those things, according to, you know, him.

You are.

On top of all that, we have confirmation from Trump himself that he's surrounded himself with incompetent people. We're always told by supporters of incompetent candidates that they'll hire smart advisers who will fill in the gaps. But Trump doesn't appear capable of hiring competent people. He hired Ben Carson to vet vice presidential candidates, until he leaked the list accidentally. He hired Healy Baumgardner to be his chief press representative even though Healy can barely speak. Hell, he's hinted that he'd nominate Sarah Palin for either vice president or another cabinet position. This is supposed to build confidence in a Trump brain-trust? Really?

So, what can we count on? An erratic, racist reality show diva who speaks in grade-school-level brags ("best words!") and who hires staffers that, by his own admission, "aren't so smart." This is the GOP nominee. This is who 40 percent of voters would like to see as the next leader of the free world. And not one of them will accept responsibility for the havoc he'll surely incite.