Watch an Orlando Vigil at Mizzou Get Hijacked by a Kid Upset So Many White People Are There

This is what you get when you combine moral certitude with youthful narcissism.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
This is what you get when you combine moral certitude with youthful narcissism.

There is literally nothing the collegiate left's obsession with identity politics cannot ruin. Nothing. And if you think that's hyperbole or an overstatement, you need to watch a video clip posted yesterday to YouTube -- one that shows a young woman, apparently a student at the University of Missouri, turning a vigil there for the victims of the Orlando massacre into an opportunity to scold part of the audience for its alleged lack of concern over other injustices.

The clip begins with the young activist starting her "tribute" to those killed in Orlando with a comment that immediately makes it all about her and her personal grievances. “I was really nervous to get up here because there’s a lot of white people in the crowd,” she says. “That wasn’t a joke,” she adds after the audience seems unsure of how to respond. The student then complains about the lack of attendance at previous rallies. "I wish this many people came out to our racial demonstrations," she says. "And our Black Lives Matter movements." The clip then shows her, almost comically, demurring, saying, "I don't want to stand up here and be angry, 'cause this isn't for me..." (No shit, kid.) "...But I thought I'd take the moment to, just, like, list out some facts that many of you probably don't know, um -- because you're white."

It's honestly like a comedy sketch. Some kind of horrific parody of the prototypical "social justice warrior" created specifically to make assholes on Reddit laugh.

The whole thing comes to a head when the young activist complains about the difficulties faced by her highly specific shade of black, then asks the audience, “As much as it’s awesome that so many of you are here today, it’s, like, who are you really here for?” And that's when someone in the crowd finally responds, shouting back, "We're here for everybody!" That comment draws applause and is followed by another shout from a man who says, "We are here to be unifying, not dividing, which is what you're doing now!" That man and his husband then get into a shouting match with the activist, as someone else on the stage -- of course -- tells the audience to stop so the student can express her feelings.

The camera crew quickly moves to seek out the couple who had interrupted the young woman as they're being led away by security. They're older men, one of whom says he's been marching for gay rights since 1982. "Why does this have to turn into a latino vs. caucasian, a black vs. latino, a black vs. white (thing)?" he says, adding that he's tired of every issue being an opportunity for divisive identity politics rather than a chance for unity. “Right here on this stage, they are segregating us as a community,” he says. “They are making it a racial issue. It’s not a racial issue at this point.”

But that's just it. To black college activists, particularly at Mizzou -- home of last year's protests and "safe spaces" that got a student journalist roughed up and a professor fired -- everything is about race. To college activists from various ethnicities everything is about those individual ethnic identities. To college activists from each segment of the LGBTQ spectrum, everything is about their one slice of the identity pie. And so on and so on. It's about every individual marginalized or oppressed group on campus until self-segregation is a potential new norm, because there's simply no way anyone but their own kind can understand. (And if you're an outsider and want to understand, your role is to never under any circumstances try to engage in conversation, but rather to simply sit down, shut up, and listen! because otherwise you're a threat to their safety)

A vigil. A vigil. For the victims of a massacre inside a gay nightclub. Almost all of whom were gay. Some of whom were also latino, black, and white. Some of whom were men. Some of whom were women. Some of whom were likely genderfluid. In other words, a cross-section of humanity. The kind of thing that should have brought everyone together in mourning because it affected so many types of people. But no, of course it couldn't be that. It never fucking can when a college kid believes they're the most oppressed person in the room and that their personal grievances must be heard.

(h/t Mediaite)