MEMBERS ONLY: Matt Taibbi's Embarrassing Article on Brexit and Democracy

As a big fan of Matt Taibbi's excellent journalism over the years, I was dismayed to read his latest Rolling Stone column on the Brexit debacle in Europe that was, quite frankly, shockingly ignorant.
As a big fan of Matt Taibbi's excellent journalism over the years, I was dismayed to read his latest Rolling Stone column on the Brexit debacle in Europe that was, quite frankly, shockingly ignorant.
taibbi.jpg

As a big fan of Matt Taibbi's excellent journalism over the years, I was dismayed to read his latest Rolling Stone column on the Brexit debacle in Europe that was, quite frankly, shockingly ignorant.

Taibbi's piece, sardonically titled "The Reaction to Brexit is The Reason Brexit Happened" is a lengthly screed against snooty liberals dismayed by the outcome of the referendum who are now suggesting the vote should be ignored because the people who voted for it aren't very bright. He writes:

Imagine having pundits and professors suggest you should have your voting rights curtailed because you voted Leave. Now imagine these same people are calling voters like you "children," and castigating you for being insufficiently appreciative of, say, the joys of submitting to a European Supreme Court that claims primacy over the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights.

The overall message in every case is the same: Let us handle things.

Taibbi equates this lack of respect for true democracy with, wait for it, Stalinism. Yes, he actually went there.

To continue reading this article, please go here. Purchasing a Banter Membership gets you weekly access to the digital magazine and all our Members Only Articles. Your financial contribution also keeps us completely independent, so thank you!