Hillary Revealed Her Plan of Attack Against Trump, and It's Kinda Perfect

Hillary: "Do we want his finger anywhere near The Button?"
Hillary: "Do we want his finger anywhere near The Button?"

Hillary Clinton delivered what could be defined as her first national security address of the general election campaign against Republican nominee and obvious hoarder of "the best words," Donald Trump.

In addition to outlining her national security priorities, Hillary spent a good deal of time seizing the initiative by attacking Trump for his lack of foreign policy experience and his detail-free policy proposals. She also made sure to highlight the Republican's penchant for making fun of disabled people (true) and for denigrating women.

But perhaps the most salient attack against Trump came during the final moments of the address when Hillary clearly and directly described the top-shelf stakes in the election.

"Now imagine Donald Trump sitting in the Situation Room making life or death decisions on behalf of the United States. Imagine him deciding whether to send your spouses or children into battle. Imagine if he not just had his Twitter account at his disposal when he's angry, but America's entire arsenal. Do we want him making those calls? Someone thin-skinned, and quick to anger who lashes out at the smallest criticism. Do we want his finger anywhere near The Button?"

This is brilliant for a number of reasons, including the subtly clever tactic of working a mention of Donald Trump's finger into the text, evoking an almost subliminal jab at Trump's stubby hands and thus his allegedly stubby genitals. Indeed, the last thing most of us would want is for a guy with penis issues making decisions about whether to deploy our arsenal of phallus-shaped ICBMs and battlefield nukes.

Seriously, though, this imagery of Trump pissing in his big-boy pants over a personal slight while pacing the Situation Room is what could effectively drive away undecided Americans who value smart, focused national security policy. This is Hillary's case against Trump. He simply lacks the discipline and temperament to carefully oversee our national security apparatus, and the vision of a spastic, erratic, thin-skinned Trump kneejerking us into another harrowing foreign policy disaster is quite easy to envision, which makes Hillary's attack so effective.

It also has the added benefit of being noticeably true.

In response, Trump attacked Hillary for using a teleprompter and for not appearing "presidential."

Yeah, that's rich. She's just not Oompa-Loompa enough for Trump's Oompa-Loompa Club. Trump obviously thinks "presidential" means name-calling (Crooked Hillary! Smart!) and defrauding U.S. bond holders during a national debt crisis. He thinks "presidential" means clown hair and repeating "believe me" over and over in lieu of, you know, substance. What she really needed to do was brag about how she "has the best words." Now that's presidential. And not at all moronic.

The candidate who couldn't resist the impulse to mock a reporter who happened to suffer from a disabled arm, and who dared attack Trump, is the candidate who most Republicans think is best suited to make life or death national security decisions? The candidate whose surrogates include conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and the somnambulant Ben Carson, who claimed to have stabbed a guy, wants to control the nuclear launch codes. He wants to control whether we go to war again.

The guy who said the following wants to send men and women into combat:

26,000 unreported sexual assults in the military-only 238 convictions. What did these geniuses expect when they put men & women together?

It shouldn't matter whether you're a Democratic supporter of Hillary Clinton or whether you're a Republican. Yes, there are smart Republicans, by the way, who see Trump for what he really is. Trump is inherently dangerous as a would-be commander-in-chief and ought to be vigorously opposed in his efforts from all sides. Democrats alone can't block him from winning -- it has to be Dems and Republicans working together to guarantee this sideshow freak -- this hypersensitive reality show diva -- doesn't get within pie-tossing, poop-flinging  distance of the Oval Office.