Quote of the Day: Donald Trump Supported Brexit Vote, Just After Blaming Obama For it

The world is going crazy.
The world is going crazy.

"In 24 hours Donald Trump has both praised Brexit and blamed it on Obama."  John Fugelsang

Perhaps the only thing dumber than Britain voting to leave the European Union, then immediately regretting the vote, is, as Fugelsang pointed out, Donald Trump's completely incoherent response to the whole Brexit ordeal.

First, there was this:

“I was surprised that President Obama would come here and be so bold as to tell the people what to do and I think that a lot of people don't like him and I think if he had not said it I think your result might have been different,” Trump told reporters. “But when he said it, people were not happy about it, and I thought it was totally inappropriate.”

He repeated the claim later in the press conference, saying “I actually think that his recommendation perhaps caused it to fail.”

So, Trump thought Obama's support for remaining in the EU is what caused the vote to fail.

And then, of course, Trump repeatedly tweeted his delight at the results -- further underscoring how phenomenally dumb the British "leave" supporters were.

Um. Scotland voted to remain in the EU. Idiot.

Worse, the decision to leave was massively devastating to the British and European economies.

The pound fell as much as 10 percent against the dollar to touch levels last seen in 1985, on fears the decision could hit investment in the world’s fifth-largest economy, threaten London’s role as a global financial capital and usher in months of political uncertainty. The euro slid 3 percent.

World stocks saw more than $2 trillion wiped off their value, with indices across Europe heading for their sharpest one-day drops ever. Britain’s big banks took a $100 billion battering, with Lloyds (LLOY.L), Barclays (BARC.L) and RBS (RBS.L) falling as much as 30 percent at one point. [MKTS/GLOB]

The world is going crazy. And its descent into madness is being led by malcontents like Trump and self-destructive mob conservatives (more than a few contrarian progressives, too, by the way) who have no business crafting or deciding upon important matters. Proud ignorance is guiding the hands of too many people -- people who think they know what's what -- and they're dragging the rest of us into their universe of dysfunction.