President Obama Won't Say "Radical Islam," And What He Did Monday Is Even Worse

After the latest mass shooting Americans wanted to know, Why? But the president thinks they need to be protected from the truth.
After the latest mass shooting Americans wanted to know, Why? But the president thinks they need to be protected from the truth.

Just when you thought the Obama administration couldn't be any more obfuscatory on the matter of radical Islam as a cause of terrorism, there's this.

On Monday, the Department of Justice released a transcript of the 9-1-1 call made by Omar Mateen, who had just finished murdering 49 people at an Orlando gay bar. Usually when an atrocity of this magnitude occurs, the first question people ask is, "Why?" And that is precisely the question Mateen answered during the phone call.

Except, just as Attorney General Loretta Lynch promised on Meet the Press Sunday, the transcript was partially redacted, omitting Mateen's references to religion, ISIS, and its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

"What we're not going to do is further proclaim this man's pledges of allegiance to terrorist groups, and further his propaganda," Lynch said. "We are not going to hear him make his assertions of allegiance."

The amount of contempt displayed here for the general public is astounding, to say nothing of the blatant disregard for truth and transparency. It's one thing to foolishly insist that attacks like the one in Orlando had nothing to do with Islam. It's quite another to censor the attacker's actual explanation of why he did it.

After rightly enduring the inevitable maelstrom, the DoJ released the full and unredacted transcript:

Orlando Police Dispatcher (OD)

Omar Mateen (OM)

OD: Emergency 911, this is being recorded.

OM: In the name of God the Merciful, the beneficial [in Arabic]

OD: What?

OM: Praise be to God, and prayers as well as peace be upon the prophet of God [Arabic]. I wanna let you know, I’m in Orlando and I did the shootings.

OD: What’s your name?

OM: My name is I pledge of allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi of the Islamic State.

OD: Ok, What’s your name?

OM: I pledge allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi may God protect him [Arabic], on behalf of the Islamic State.

OD: Alright, where are you at?

OM: In Orlando.

OD: Where in Orlando?

[End of call.]

The Obama administration's de facto ban on the words "radical Islam" is arguably its most maddening shortcoming for the plain fact that it's so easily rectifiable. This can be achieved by admitting what is demonstrably true: the founding texts of Islam feature morally abhorrent content in many places, and these are plausibly used to justify the type of behavior we saw in Orlando and Paris, for example.

Last year President Obama gave one of his most convoluted speeches on this topic. In it he denied that ISIS is motivated by Islam, declaring, “We must never accept the premise that they put forward, because it is a lie.”

As my friend and ex-Muslim Faisal Saeed Al Mutar quipped, "It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic Jihadist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them."

It's disturbing enough that the hysterical Regressive Left believes that religion can never be an explanation for violence. They are clueless, after all. But when this view is held by the most powerful person in the world, it's outright dangerous.