Bernie Sanders Campaign Now Accused of Rigging Puerto Rico Election Against Itself

It's almost too good to be true, and probably is.
It's almost too good to be true, and probably is.

The Bernie Sanders campaign, which never tires of accusing people of rigging the elections against them and/or claiming that higher turnout benefits their candidate, now stands accused of cutting the number of polling places in Puerto Rico by two-thirds:

That would be a delicious irony given the Sanders campaign's insistence that everyone else is destroying democracy, but it's a little bit weird, or a lot, that Democrats in Puerto Rico are only just now making this accusation, even though Sanders and his supporters have been slamming them over the reduction since it was announced. The Sanders campaign denies the allegation, and says they have the emails to prove it:

  “Some Puerto Rico Democratic officials are claiming that the Sanders campaign requested fewer polling places in today’s primary contest. That’s completely false. The opposite is true. In emails with the party, Sanders’ staff asked the party to maintain the 1,500 plus presidential primary locations promised by the Puerto Rico Democratic party in testimony before the DNC in April, when the party was asking to have its caucus changed to a primary. They cannot blame their shoddy running of the primary on our campaign. This is just one example of irregularities going on in Puerto Rico voting today. We are the campaign that has been fighting to increase voter participation.”

Unfortunately, no one has produced emails yet, but if they do, I'm guessing there will turn out to be some Rashomoning on both sides, but I don't see how the Democrats' claim holds up even if what they're saying is 100% true. The Sanders campaign doesn't control how many polling stations there are, so no matter what they asked for, it's the party who's ultimately responsible. Their original explanation, that resources overall were stretched too thin, sounds a lot more plausible.