Woman Tells Horrifying Tale of Being Stalked in Target Bathroom Stall

How does Target plan to protect women from creeps like this?
How does Target plan to protect women from creeps like this?

 The nightmare scenario that everyone imagined when Target announced its inclusive bathroom policy has come true. A woman named Ellie DeLano has come forward to tell the story of how she was minding her own business, doing her business in a locked bathroom stall in a Target women’s restroom, when someone peeped through the gap in the door at her. The story has a bit of a twist ending, though:

The outer door opened, and someone came in. She walked past the three open stalls and stood directly in front of my door. Then she leaned over and placed her eye firmly up against the gap between the door and the frame and stared in at me.

I am not making this up. And let me tell you, it was awkward. Bizarre, even. This wasn’t a case of someone hoping all those occupied stalls aren’t really occupied. Mine was the only stall that was occupied. She deliberately stopped and stared in at me. My startled eyes met hers, and she moved away, into one of the larger stalls.

I got out of my stall as quickly as I could, and as I stood washing my hands, her voice called out.

“Sorry about that,” she said. “But you know, Target lets men and homosexuals use just any bathroom now. I was making sure you were a woman.”

That’s right, the call is coming from inside your birth-gender!

Ms. DeLano has a lot of great questions for this creep in the rest of her piece, but I’m wondering what the plan was once she discovered a Chanel-clad Hannibal Lecter in the stall, ask for a courtesy flush? As DeLano points out, this sort of action isn’t actually driven by fear, it’s driven by ostentatious moralism. How long will it be before invading women’s privacy in restrooms is considered a form of religious liberty? It seems like we’re already there.