MEMBERS ONLY: Donald Trump's Accusation That Ted Cruz's Father Helped Assassinate JFK Means We Are Officially in No-Man's Land

This latest claim breaches new territory -- territory so far removed normal parameters of political campaigning and reality itself that it is hard to comprehend exactly what we are witnessing here.
This latest claim breaches new territory -- territory so far removed normal parameters of political campaigning and reality itself that it is hard to comprehend exactly what we are witnessing here.

With Donald Trump's accusation that Ted Cruz's father, Rafael Cruz assisted in the assassination of JFK, we are officially in no-mans land.

The media is now struggling to come up with words to describe the sheer insanity of this Republican primary -- a process that is so bizarre it could never have been scripted. "A national disgrace", "a clown show", "an extinction level event", "a threat to human survival" -- these are now obsolete terms that do not capture just how completely nuts this process has now become.

To repeat, Donald Trump actually accused Ted Cruz's father of helping to assassinate John F Kennedy.

Speaking to Fox News today by phone, Trump said that Cruz’s father “was with Lee Harvey Oswald” before President Kennedy was shot. “The whole thing is ridiculous,” Trump said. “What is this? Right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it.”

“I mean, what was he doing — what was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death? Before the shooting? It’s horrible.”

What is this extraordinary claim based on? Unsurprisingly, it's a story from that well respected paper the National Enquirer (and no, we're not linking to it) that claimed Rafael Cruz helped Lee Harvey Oswald hand out pro Fidel Castro pamphlets in New Orleans in 1963.

Of course this is almost certainly utter, utter nonsense for several reasons.

To continue reading this article, go here. Your membership gets you access to the weekly digital magazine 'Banter M' and all our Members Only articles!