Quote of the Week: "Here’s the factor I think everybody missed: The Republican Party turns out to be filled with idiots"

Jonathan Chait spells it out.
Jonathan Chait spells it out.
The 2006 film "Idiocracy" predicted the rise of Donald Trump

The 2006 film "Idiocracy" predicted the rise of Donald Trump

Someone needs to frame this quote and put it somewhere important -- preferably near a national monument so that future generations understand what civilization was up against in 2016:

Why did almost everybody fail to predict Donald Trump’s victory in the Republican primaries? Nate Silver blames the news media, disorganized Republican elites, and the surprising appeal of cultural grievance. Nate Cohn lists a number of factors, from the unusually large candidate field to the friendly calendar. Jim Rutenberg thinks journalism strayed too far from good old-fashioned shoe-leather reporting. Justin Wolfers zeroes in on Condorcet’s paradox. Here’s the factor I think everybody missed: The Republican Party turns out to be filled with idiots. Far more of them than anybody expected.

That was Jonathan Chait in New York Magazine explaining the unavoidable conclusion that like the 2006 movie "Idiocracy" predicted, an idiot like Donald Trump has risen to the heights of political power because of Republican stupidity at all levels.

"The particular idiocy involves both the party’s elites and its voters," writes Chait, echoing a sentiment we've long advocated here at The Daily Banter.

"I never believed party insiders could fully dictate the outcome of the nomination, but I did expect them to be able to block a wildly unacceptable candidate, and they proved surprisingly inept even in the face of extreme peril to their collective self-interest," continues Chait.

"Then there are the voters, whose behavior provided the largest surprise. It was simply impossible for me to believe that Republican voters would nominate an obvious buffoon."

And of course they are in the process of doing so, and the rest of humanity awaits their potential impending doom