Here's Sarah Palin Lying About Obama's Hiroshima Speech, And What He Actually Said

Never let the facts get in the way of a delicious word salad.
Never let the facts get in the way of a delicious word salad.

In addition to coining a perfect nickname for Donald Trump, Sarah Palin spewed a hateful pack of lies about President Obama's speech in Hiroshima this week. Palin accused the President of “apologizing,” and of “dissing our vets with claims that the greatest generation were perhaps perpetuating the evils of World War II,” and of “suggesting and actually lying in suggestions that we were wrong to prove to the world that we would eradicate evil.”

You probably already know this is horseshit, but for the record, Obama didn't say anything like that, and in fact made several references to justifications for the bombings, including things like the Bataan Death March:

In the span of a few years, some 60 million people would die — men, women, children no different than us, shot, beaten, marched, bombed, jailed, starved, gassed to death.

There are many sites around the world that chronicle this war — memorials that tell stories of courage and heroism; graves and empty camps that echo of unspeakable depravity.

…We may not be able to eliminate man’s capacity to do evil, so nations –- and the alliances that we’ve formed -– must possess the means to defend ourselves.

There was no hint of an apology, nor anything even remotely resembling an admission of guilt, in the entire speech, but rather, a recognition that it sucks that the Axis made us do that, twice. If anything, Obama’s speech was a thumb in the eye at peaceniks who question the unquestionable morality of nuking two population centers.