Fox News Channel's Jesse Watters Thinks the Climate Crisis Isn't Real Because Spring in New York Has Been 'Freezing'

Anyone who believes this nonsense should be summarily forbidden from discussing science in public. Ever.
Anyone who believes this nonsense should be summarily forbidden from discussing science in public. Ever.

If Fox News Channel's prepubescent street troll Jesse Watters announced the death of his own child, he'd probably do it with that stupid grin plastered across his face. As we've witnessed too often, Watters can't stop grinning like Private Pyle, even while discussing topics that are of vital importance to his bubble-kept viewers. He's nothing more than a smirk in a suit -- a talentless stooge of Papa-Bear O'Reilly who's been told by humorless Fox News executives that he's somehow funny, and therefore he believes he's legitimately hilarious even though he's painfully not.

It's, of course, the skewed sense of reality at Fox News that facilitated Watters getting his own show, Watters' World -- now with appropriate punctuation, as opposed to the O'Reilly version of the title, Watters World, which lacked the apostrophe but maintained the inexplicable reference to the disastrous Kevin Costner movie, Waterworld

In addition to his own show and O'Reilly's show, Watters routinely appears on Fox News Channel's Outnumbered, surrounded by a panel of women. On the latest edition of Outnumbered, Watters smirked his way through a story about the Portland Public School District eliminating from textbooks any mentions of the climate crisis being a hoax or unreal or not man-made.

Reacting to a clip in which a Portland school teacher praises the district's decision, Outnumbered commentator and former MTV veejay, Kennedy, said, "It’s so anti-scientific." Yes, it's unscientific to teach an empirical fact that's backed up with the support of 97 percent of climate scientists.

Watters, complete with shit-eating grin, added, "Yeah, aren’t students supposed to learn how to ask questions? And now you can’t read a book that asks questions."

No, students are supposed to be taught objective facts, and then, if they choose to, ask questions about those facts. However, they're not supposed to question the existence of things like the sky, or the oceans, or the atomic structure of Helium. Conversely, they're welcome to question whether a certain leader deserves power, or whether a 2,000 year old book like the Bible applies to modern society and morality -- or whether such a book should be taken literally.

Watters continued,  "So, getting out of the ice age — how did the Earth warm up after the ice age? There were no humans there with cars and factories. I mean, how did things warm up?"

If Watters had paid attention in 8th grade, he'd know that carbon emissions from other sources warmed the planet and naturally ended the Ice Age. But carbon emissions causing man-made global warming, on the other hand, are vastly more severe, according to nearly all climate scientists, and will render human beings extinct if the emissions aren't controlled or rolled back. Indeed, the current shift in climate is also taking place in a couple hundred years rather than thousands upon thousands of years at the end of the Ice Age. Duh.

Watters concluded, "I should be teaching these courses. These aren’t that hard. It gets hot, it gets cold. This spring has been freezing. It’s not getting warmer. It seems like it’s getting colder. Am I wrong?"

Yes! A thousand times, yes! He's so completely wrong -- for many reasons, the most important of which is that he thinks the weather in his back yard is the same as the global climate. Anyone who believes this nonsense should be summarily forbidden from discussing science in public. Ever. Come to think of it, there's a meme going around Facebook that sufficiently shames this weather excuse, and it goes like this (paraphrasing): "I just ate a sandwich, therefore world hunger doesn't exist."

Oh, and one more thing. Watters, Kennedy and their panel-mates attempted to disprove the opinions of a Portland school teacher who's apparently publishing a book on the subject. Apparently, the teachers isn't allowed to discuss science if he's potentially making money in the process. Clearly this means Jesse Watters and his pals have agreed to work for free while talking about climate on Fox News. Good for them, holding themselves to their own standards for intellectual purity.

Fox News Channel's strategy is, as always, to manufacture reasonable doubt. They often don't outright disprove things like global warming, because the science won't allow it, so they implant lamely childish reasons why 97 percent of scientists could be wrong. It's safe to assume the vast majority of Outnumbered's audience doesn't know the difference between weather and climate, and therefore it's easy for Watters and company to get away with such horseshit.

Transcript via Media Matters:

JESSE WATTERS: One city school district is closing the book on any materials in the classroom that question or deny climate change. The board in Portland, Oregon unanimously approving a resolution that calls for removing books and course materials that suggests climate change does not exist or that people are not at fault for it.

[...]

Do you know what climate justice is first off, Sandra? Does anyone know what climate justice is? Am I going to get locked up for something like that?

LISA KENNEDY MONTGOMERY: All you do is slap the word "justice" onto any politicized term, and it's a dog whistle for the left. I mean "economic justice," and now we've got "climate justice." And that's exactly what it is. And it's so anti-scientific. Are you really teaching kids about science and the scientific method? Are there skeptics?

WATTERS: Aren't students supposed to learn how to ask questions? And now we can't read a book that ask questions.

[...]

JESSIE WILLIAMS: But even if there was no book at play, I still have a problem with it although I was taught around climate justice issues and things like that, and I have my beliefs. What is wrong with encouraging dialogue, questioning, intellect? People don't know how to disagree in this country anymore, and we're not teaching kids to know how to do that either.

SANDRA SMITH: Because those are the words he had a problem with, Jessie, words like "might" and "may" and "could."

WATTERS: Really, and, like, you can't say "he" or "she" anymore.

MONTGOMERY: Well, I mean, he talks about climate change and climate science as though it's universal, as if it's an objective fact, when there are still scientists, believe it or not, out there who say, "No, we still have to look at the data." And it's impossible to predict how the climate is going to change over hundreds or thousands of years. I mean, that's been one of the biggest issues.

WATTERS: So getting out of the ice age, how did the Earth warm up after the ice age? There were no humans there with cars and factories. I mean, how did things warm up? These are questions that only I have the answer to. I should be teaching these courses. These aren't that hard. It gets hot, it gets cold, this spring has been freezing. It's not getting warmer, it seems like it's getting colder. Am I wrong?

WILLIAMS: Well that's the problem, though, right, it's we want a conclusion around this thing on both sides so bad that we are willing to forego letting it really run its course and doing our due diligence to find out what's going on.

WATTERS: I don't think they want a conclusion. They want to just shut people down.