Watch Roland Martin Rip Hillary and Di Blasio For 'Colored People Time' Joke

Apparently, Di Blasio and Hillary don't got it like that.
Apparently, Di Blasio and Hillary don't got it like that.
roland2.jpg

Hillary Clinton and Mayor Bill Di Blasio are taking heat over a joke they told during a sketch at the 2016 Inner Circle Dinner. The sketch, entitled "Shamilton," co-starred Leslie Odom Jr. from the musical "Hamilton."

Here's a slightly longer version of it, just to give it some context. Keep in mind that "CP time" stands for "Colored People time," shorthand for the racial stereotype that black people are not punctual:

Now, some are calling this a "racist joke," but really, it's more of an edgy race joke, the kind you could probably tell if you were among friends, and you've really got it like that. Maybe if the delivery hadn't been as stiff as it was, it wouldn't have come off as badly as it did, but according to Roland Martin, whose judgment I trust implicitly in these matters, it came off pretty bad:

Roland and his panel make a number of excellent points, including that this sort of overly-familiar humor might not have been a great idea given the ways in which race has bubbled up in the Democratic primary recently.

When I first saw this, I thought it was merely ill-advised, but Roland really clarified things when he said that Di Blasio's wife and son, who are black, should go upside his head. That's an excellent yardstick.

Not for nothing, Di Blasio might have done the greatest damage to himself on the mic, as he turned in the worst hip-hop performance since MC Rove:

Yep, that should keep him on waivers for about the next three Racial Drafts.

Roland and his panel,which included commentator Angela Rye, Republican strategist Paris Dennard, and BLACK co-director Amber Phillips, also took Bill O'Reilly to task over his racist remarks about "ill-educated" black people with "tattoos on their foreheads."

Martin pointed out that O’Reilly hosts “the largest show on cable news,” while Rye criticized Trump for not pushing back. Dennard said he thought Trump deserved credit because “at least he did not engage and co-sign with that.”

Then Roland challenged O’Reilly to debate him on the subject of education. “Bill was afraid of this black man,” Martin said, recalling the last time he challenged O’Reilly, adding “Bill, anytime, any day, anywhere, we can have the debate.”:

Yeah, I'd pay good money to see that.

It's amazing the gulf in expectations between Trump, who gets credit for somehow managing to keep himself from saying something racist one time, and the Democrats.