Jane Sanders Thinks Black Voters Still Just Don't Get Bernie

It's been, like, a year. Maybe it's someone else who isn't getting it.
It's been, like, a year. Maybe it's someone else who isn't getting it.

Jane Sanders was asked about Bernie's continued deficit of support with minorities this morning, and after calling Hillary Clinton "the anointed one," she chalked it up to Hillary's "good relationship with the African-American community," as if that's just some thing that exists apart from Hillary's record and policy positions, and the fact that Bernie just "needs to get in front of them," and get them to understand that "his general bold vision for the future actually affects them disproportionately because, as you say, a lot of them have lower incomes":

 This is amazingly similar to the answer Bernie gave almost a fricking year ago:

Bernie has had almost a whole year to get in front of "them," so maybe "they" aren't the problem. Bernie Sanders' consistency is one of his most admirable traits, but it doesn't serve him well when it comes out as stubbornness.

Also from the Sanders file today, Susan Sarandon told Stephen Colbert about her "break-up" with Hillary last night.

I know she was probably just playing along with Colbert's characterization of an old photo op of Hillary and Sarandon, but it's worth noting, anyway, that Sarandon doesn't ever seem to have supported Hillary, or been friends with her. In a 2006 interview, Sarandon said she had "met" Hillary, but made no mention of ever having supported her:

  Sarandon likes to be engaged by the democratic process too, although she doesn’t see current options that excite her. "I find Hillary Clinton to be a great disappointment," she says. "She seems to be a very bright woman; I’ve met her. But she’s lost her progressive following because of her caution and centrist approach. It bothered me when she voted for the war. There were brave people who didn’t. She’s not worse than other politicians, but I hoped she would be better. What America is looking for is authentic people who want to go into public service because they believe strongly in something, not people who are trying to get elected."

She also wasn't high on Democrats back then either:

 Sarandon, who recently made headlines when she expressed her disappointment with Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton — who is widely considered to be a possible presidential candidate — and isn’t terribly optimistic about other Dems. “I honestly hope that the Democratic Party finds a candidate for the presidency, but I recognize that the scenario isn’t inspiring.”

Even when then-Sen. Hillary Clinton helped out with a fundraiser that Sarandon was hosting, this is what Sarandon told interviewers at the time:

  "I don't really want to make it about her. I don't think she's a bad person," Sarandon said before taking the stage at a rally for the Christopher Reeve Foundation, which is pushing Congress to pass legislation named after the "Superman" actor.

The actress offered a warm introduction for Clinton, considered an early front-runner for the Democratic party's presidential nomination in 2008, saying: "We are all very lucky to have her here today as a leader in Congress."

Just two days earlier, British television aired an interview with Sarandon in which she again blasted the senator's vote on the Iraq war, saying Clinton had "crumbled under the pressure of that moment."

Asked in the interview with ITV1 about a possible Clinton presidential bid, Sarandon said, "I'm not particularly supportive of her, I'd like to find somebody that really has a moral bottom line ... man or woman."

In 2008, Sarandon was full-on anti-Hillary, and even said she owed her accomplishments to the fact that she's a woman:

You’ve played quite a few real-life people now. Would you like to play Hillary Clinton in the movie of her life?No. I’ve been around her and don’t find her… At this point, to say after what’s happened to her campaign and how they squandered all that money and all the different reasons her campaign fell apart, to blame it on sexism, I find so destructive to every young girl who dreams about making a difference through government. Instead of saying, “Look how far I’ve gotten and you can do it too,” and all the positive things she could have done, she’s turned into such a blamer and whiner, as if that was the reason, when clearly she wouldn’t have been in the position she was in if she hadn’t been a woman.

If she hadn’t been married to that man and hadn’t had the Democratic machine behind her. To now turn around and say it was sexism I find so dishonorable and really destructive to women all over, young women all over. So I don’t really respect her enough to want to play her, and I find it sad and disappointing.