Dear Self Hating White People, Please Listen to Bill Maher's Rant On Your "Perverse Narcissism"

Maher's rant was hilarious, but more than that, it deftly exposed the basis for the regressive left's hypersensitivity to issues over race: their own warped narcissism.
Maher's rant was hilarious, but more than that, it deftly exposed the basis for the regressive left's hypersensitivity to issues over race: their own warped narcissism.
Bill Maher Racism

On his HBO show over the weekend, Bill Maher dedicated his 'New Rule' segment to calling out the legions of white liberals who leap at every opportunity to disavow their skin color and get offended over perceived racism that, well, isn't racist in any conceivable way

Maher's rant was hilarious, but more than that, it deftly exposed the basis for the regressive left's hypersensitivity to issues over race: their own warped narcissism. Said Maher:

Let me tonight talk to the liberals for a minute. Attention Whole Foods shoppers: Put the kale down, we need to have a talk. Because this idea of being white automatically equals lame is getting out of hand.

You know who I'm talking about, the kind of person who goes who goes away to some exclusive vacation spot and comes back and says, 'It was nice, but so many white people.'...

I know you're trying to demonstrate to minorities that you're a sympathetic ally by dumping on your own whiteness, but most minority folks could give a shit. They think it's ridiculous that, you, pretending to make a difference when you're just making yourself feel better. It's so white...

Did you hear that Bernie Sanders said the word 'ghetto' last month and had to spend a whole week explaining that he didn't mean it in a good way. Or a bad way. Or whatever way we're not allowed to mean it. The iPhone has Siri in it. They should have a one for white people called 'Sorry.'

Watch any sitcom, commercial, movie comedy. The go to punch line is always the tight-ass, limp dick, Dockers-wearing, tiny penis, bland-food eating white guy. (Maher makes 'L' on head). White guys can't jump, they can't dance, they can't fuck. Really? Even this guy (Mick Jagger)? He's 90 and he still does all of them.

And, look, I'm not saying that being a white male doesn't have its privileges. Of course it does. I'm just saying that constantly crapping on yourself doesn't fix anything. It's a perverse form of narcissism. The more you hate on your own whiteness, the better person you are.

I hear it all the time: 'Check your white male privilege.' Okay, you're right. I'm very privileged. I checked. Now what? Should I tweet an apology to Kendrick Lamar while I lop off my cock? I'm sure that would help because Bruce Jenner was a boob even among Kardashians. But now he has boobs so she's Rosa Parks.

This ridiculous form of reverse racism is, at least in my opinion, a major reason why the Right in America simply doesn't listen to the Left any more, and the country is further dividing itself into cocoons of entirely different perceptions of reality. The extreme policing over language, the relentless outrage over perceived racism/misogyny/homophobia/transphobia, and the bizarre group think of the regressive Left does nothing other than isolate them from the rest of society and turn off other liberals who do care about these issues but cannot stand to be associated with them.

Last year I took part in a debate on the Huff Post Live over protestors who aggressively stormed a Bernie Sanders rally in Seattle, and I took the position that the protestors were not only targeting the wrong politician, but making themselves look like idiots while putting the Black Lives Matter movement at risk. This was met by a hailstorm of criticism on from the other guests and a torrent of twitter abuse from social justice warriors insisting I was a racist misogynist because, as one of the other guests argued on the show, I called a black woman an idiot.

Interestingly, the black female guest on the show didn't appear to take offense to it at all (despite disagreeing with my argument) and was the only person who actually was interested in what I was trying to say. Because of course calling someone an idiot doesn't make you a racist -- a point that apparently needs to be made in an era when Star Wars is deemed racist because Darth Vader wears a black costume

As someone of Jewish heritage who has deeply progressive views, getting called a racist on live TV was somewhat of a wake up call to just how far off the rails the social justice movement has gone in America. If I am a racist, I don't know what the word means given I apparently exist in the same category as the KKK and Donald Trump.

As Bill Maher argues, this lunacy has got to stop if we want to make any real progress on issues like racism. Because accusing everyone and everything of being racist exonerates real racism by inadvertently providing it cover and turning the attention to the accuser -- an act that can only be construed as narcissism.

So please white liberals, racism isn't about you. It is about the people affected by it, who really don't give a flying f*ck about a Bob Marley Snapchat filter or your obsession with how awful you think being white is.