Another Republican Admitted That Voter ID is All About Disenfranchising Democrats

And somehow this is legal?
And somehow this is legal?

They keep doing it. Republicans continue to accidentally spill the beans about unspoken GOP plots to roll back constitutional rights. Donald Trump, last week, accidentally blurted something about punishing women who undergo illegal abortions. And this week, Glenn Grothman, a Republican congressman from Wisconsin, became another in a growing list of mid-level conservatives to blab about the true intention of voter ID laws: to disenfranchise Democrats.

It should be obvious. The odds of voter fraud are practically nonexistent, and yet Republicans have managed to pass more than two dozen voter ID laws using the flimsy "voter fraud" excuse.

Thirty-three states, mostly red states, now require some form of voter ID at polling places. In other words, thanks to this nefarious GOP disenfranchisement scam, more than half the nation is required to pay a fee while potentially losing additional wages from lost work in order to vote. Does anyone seriously believe that Donald Trump's or Ted Cruz's best voters are unable to pay those fees or can't afford to take a half-day off work in order to visit the DMV?

At a victory party following Ted Cruz's crucial win in Wisconsin, Grothman said:

“Hillary Clinton is about the weakest candidate the Democrats have ever put up and now we have voter ID and I think voter ID is going to make a little bit of a difference as well.”

It's the second time Grothman has derped about this topic. Rewind to 2012...

KEYES: If it were upheld and in place in time for the November election, do you think — polls have shown a pretty razor-thin margin — do you think it might ultimately help Romney’s campaign here in the state?

GROTHMAN: Yes. Right. I think we believe that insofar as there are inappropriate things, people who vote inappropriately are more likely to vote Democrat.

KEYES: So if these protections are in place of voter ID, that might ultimately help [Romney] in a close race?

GROTHMAN: Right. I think if people cheat, we believe the people who cheat are more likely to vote against us.

Meanwhile, between 2002 and 2012, there were only about 13 cases of voter fraud out of tens of millions of votes cast.

While we're here, who else blabbed? Via Right Wing Watch:

Mike Turzai, Pennsylvania Speaker of the House:

Voter ID, which is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania: done,” he said.

John Fund, right-wing analyst:

 “I think it is a fair argument of some liberals that there are some people who emphasize the voter ID part more than the absentee ballot part because supposedly Republicans like absentee ballots more and they don’t want to restrict that,” he admitted, before adding: “But the bottom line is, on good government grounds, we have to have both voter ID laws and absentee ballot laws.” (Indeed, while all types of voter fraud are extremely rare, PBS notes that “election law experts say it happens more often through mail-in ballots than people impersonating eligible voters at the polls.”)

Phyllis Schlafly, conservative activist:

"Democrats promote early voting for the same reason they oppose voter ID: because they view early voting as helping their side. In the absurdly long 35-day period of early voting in Ohio in 2012, Democrats racked up perhaps a million-vote advantage over Republicans before Election Day was ever reached. Republicans have been slow to realize how early voting helps the Democrats."

Fran Miller, Georgia state legislator:

'Now we are to have Sunday voting at South DeKalb Mall just prior to the election. Per Jim Galloway of the [Atlanta Journal-Constitution], this location is dominated by African American shoppers and it is near several large African American mega churches such as New Birth Missionary Baptist . Galloway also points out the Democratic Party thinks this is a wonderful idea – what a surprise. I’m sure Michelle Nunn and Jason Carter are delighted with this blatantly partisan move in DeKalb."

Jim Greer, Florida Republican Party Chairman:

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. … ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.

“They never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue,” Greer said. “It’s all a marketing ploy.”

Any questions?

Participation in the democratic process should be simple and universal. But, once again, fear of skin color is being exploited in order to win elections for Republicans. Coupled with the well-worn Southern Strategy, one of the two major political parties in America is oppressing minority voters in an attempt to win elections. But, contrastingly, voter ID laws are far worse than the Southern Strategy. It's not unconstitutional to exploit white anger against minorities as a means of getting out the vote. But voter ID tramples both the Voting Rights Act as well as significant chunks of the U.S. Constitution.