This Letter Written by a Republican to President Obama Should Be Read By All Americans

Brown, who says he has voted Republican his entire life, was extremely critical of President Obama, and in particular the Affordable Care Act (ACA). That all changed when Brown was able to get treatment for a life threatening autoimmune disease through the ACA.
Brown, who says he has voted Republican his entire life, was extremely critical of President Obama, and in particular the Affordable Care Act (ACA). That all changed when Brown was able to get treatment for a life threatening autoimmune disease through the ACA.
Brent Nathan Brown thanks President Obama in Milwaukee

Brent Nathan Brown thanks President Obama in Milwaukee

Yesterday, the White House published a letter that long time Republican and Wisconsin resident Brent Nathan Brown wrote to president Barack Obama back in June of last year.

Brown, who says he has voted Republican his entire life, was extremely critical of President Obama, and in particular the Affordable Care Act (ACA). That all changed when Brown was able to get treatment for a life threatening autoimmune disease through the ACA. Below is the letter in full. It should be spread as far and wide as possible in recognition that Obama's health care law, while flawed, is saves lives -- all lives -- even Republicans who have voted against it over and over again.

To My President,

I sincerely hope that this reaches you, as far too often praise is hard to come by. Apologies to people who deserve it perhaps even less so.

I did not vote for you. Either time. I have voted Republican for the entirety of my life.

I proudly wore pins and planted banners displaying my Republican loyalty. I was very vocal in my opposition to you–particularly the ACA.Before I briefly explain my story allow me to first say this: I am so very sorry. I understand written content cannot convey emotions very well–but my level of conviction has me in tears as I write this. I was so very wrong. So very very wrong.

You saved my life. I want that to sink into your ears and mind. My President, you saved my life, and I am eternally grateful.

I have a ‘pre-existing condition’ and so could never purchase health insurance. Only after the ACA came into being could I be covered. Put simply to not take up too much of your time if you are in fact taking the time to read this: I would not be alive without access to care I received due to your law.So thank you from a dumb young man who thought he knew it all and who said things about you that he now regrets. Thank you for serving me even when I didn’t vote for you.Thank you for being my President.Honored to have lived under your leadership and guidance,

Brent Nathan Brown