Hillary Clinton Campaign Has Perfect Response to Susan Sarandon Bernie or Bust Rant

If you watched Sarandon say she'd let Donald Trump win before she'd vote for Hillary and couldn't even, you weren't the only one.
If you watched Sarandon say she'd let Donald Trump win before she'd vote for Hillary and couldn't even, you weren't the only one.
Brian Fallon Susan Sarandon

Oscar winner and non-vagina-voter Susan Sarandon is drawing the right wrong kind of attention to the candidacy of Bernie Sanders, which is just now starting to develop a real head of steam. On Monday night, the iconic actress took "Bernie or Bust" to a whole new level during an epically awful interview with Chris Hayes.

For an appetizer, Sarandon called Bernie Sanders supporters who would refuse to vote for Hillary "very passionate and very principled," and validated the most egregious anti-Hillary talking points that, as Bob has pointed out, conservatives have spent decades constructing:

They think she's a liar, they feel like she's not authentic. They don't trust her so what difference does it make? If you're a small farmer and worried about fracking on your property, in Idaho they just passed a bill where they can frack on private land, and you know that she's taken money from fracking, why would you think she would have your back?

Setting aside the yuge voting bloc that is small farmers, what exactly does Susan Sarandon think Donald Trump will do about fracking, besides think up a way to get more carbon into the fracking liquid? That's kinda what Hayes asked her next, and this is where she took it to eleven:

Sarandon: I think Bernie would encourage people because he doesn't have any ego. I think a lot of people are "Sorry, I can't bring myself to do that."

Hayes: How about you personally?

Sarandon: I don't know. I'm going to see what happens...I think Donald Trump will bring the revolution immediately. If he gets in, then things will really explode.

...Hayes: Don't you think that's dangerous?

Sarandon: I think what's going on now, if you think it's pragmatic to shore up the status quo, it's not working. It's dangerous to think we can continue the way we are with the militarized police force, with the death penalty and the low minimum wage and threats to women's rights and think you can't do something huge to turn that around.

Now, I know it's fashionable to bash celebrities for bothering to have opinions, but I will listen to anyone who makes sense. This just doesn't make any of that. Hillary has been ahead of Bernie on police reforms, she's for a much higher minimum wage than we have now, and like Bernie, she will not appoint justices who will gut women's rights for a generation.

I think Chez has it right that Sarandon's idiocy comes from a special kind of privilege, one which will never have to worry about any of the consequences of a Trump presidency. Susan Sarandon will always be able to access abortion, will never be deported, and can just move to Canada when Trump starts his next war.

On Tuesday afternoon, Hillary Clinton spokesman Brian Fallon delivered what I thought was the perfect response to Sarandon's rant, aside from the ill-connected shots at Bernie Sanders he threw in at the end:

Look, I thought those comments were peculiar. I give the Sanders campaign the benefit of the doubt. Not every surrogate that goes out actually reflects the views of the candidate. I’ll give Senator Sanders the opportunity to address those comments that Susan Sarandon made last night.

I know he's out there trying to win right now, but maybe Bernie should also think of a way to gently nudge his supporters away from the poisoned Dixie cups of Flavor-Ade they're busily pouring themselves in case he loses. Unlike Susan Sarandon, the rest of us will still have to live here when the dust clears.