Breitbart's Deleted Letter to Ben Shapiro is Absolutely Amazing

There is an almighty bust up going on at right wing hate site Breitbart.com that can only be described as an epic case study in the law of Karma.
There is an almighty bust up going on at right wing hate site Breitbart.com that can only be described as an epic case study in the law of Karma.

There is an almighty bust up going on at right wing hate site Breitbart.com that can only be described as an epic case study in the law of Karma.

Early this morning Breitbart posted, and then deleted, an amazingly nasty piece ripping in to former editor Ben Shapiro, who resigned abruptly on Sunday evening after the site failed spectacularly to stand up to one of their reporters, Michelle Fields, after she was literally assaulted by Donald Trump's campaign manager (Fields also resigned on Sunday).

True to Breitbart's appallingly low bar for basic literacy and coherent thinking, the post makes little sense and is filled with conspiratorial ranting about Buzzfeed, photos of snakes, plagiarism, Hamas, and Orthodox Judaism. Bizarrely, the post was also written under the pseudonym Shapiro's father, David Shapiro, used while writing for the site — William Bigelow (David Shapiro also resigned Sunday).

Here is the astonishing post, now deleted, in full with all accompanying screen shots of baby snakes (h/t Gawker):

LOS ANGELES — Former Breitbart News editor-at-large Ben Shapiro announced Sunday evening via left-wing Buzzfeed that he is abandoning Andrew Breitbart’s lifelong best friend, widow, hand-picked management team and friends in pursuit of an elusive contributorship at the Fox News Channel.

Friends of Hamas could not be found for comment.

Shapiro, a Harvard lawyer and member of the State Bar of California, apparently violated virtually every clause in his employment contract during an appearance on The Kelly Filelast Thursday evening.

It was business as usual for the ambitious conservative gadfly, who is known to live on the edge, courting and then leaving a series of companies over the past several years.

Buzzfeed, a site that has been aiming to destroy Breitbart News since the moment Andrew Breitbart died, and which has predicted the demise of Breitbart.com for the past four years, rewarded Shapiro for his bravery by placing news of his resignation just beneath several other hot stories, including “This Wee Little Snake Taking Its First Breath Will Cure Anyone’s Fears,” and “2/26: How Two Llamas And A Dress Gave Us The Internet’s Greatest Day.”

The story ran next to a photograph of a baby snake hatching from its shell, apparently for emphasis. Somehow, Shapiro’s name was omitted from the headline on Buzzfeed’s home page.

Screenshot / Buzzfeed

Screenshot / Buzzfeed

Baby Snake close-up

Baby Snake close-up

Breitbart news editor-in-chief Alex Marlow was stupefied: “My friend Ben Shapiro broke the news on a website that asks its staff to drink their own urine? Impossible.”

Breitbart California editor Joel B. Pollak, Shapiro’s friend and fellow Orthodox Jew, expressed concern for his former colleague.

“I’m worried. I had enjoyed listening to Ben read Breitbart California stories, word for word, without attribution, on his morning radio show. Now what will he do for content?”

Breitbart News senior management issued a short statement: “Ben’s listicles will be missed.”

The mood was somber at Breitbart News’ Los Angeles office, where one staffer stared silently at promotional copies of Shapiro’s books, left behind on the shelves when the author stopped showing up for work, several years ago.

Alleged Fox News contributor Michelle Fields also resigned.

According to Breitbart News Editor-at-Large and In-House Counsel, Joel B. Pollak, the piece was actually written as a joke. He said in a statement:

"The article was written by me as part of an effort to make light of a significant company event, and was published as a result of a misunderstanding without going through the normal editorial channels...I apologize to Michelle Fields, my friend Ben Shapiro, and to everyone concerned."

Shapiro was none too impressed with this "joke," telling Politico that: "The fact they would use my father’s pseudonym in order to attack me just exposes how despicable they are."

The elder Shapiro apparently used a pseudonym because of his son's persistent death threats. "Breitbart put this under his [David Shapiro's] byline because they knew I'd have to out him," said Shapiro.

How nice of them.

While ostensibly performing a noble act of self sacrifice and loyalty, it must be remembered that Ben Shapiro is a gigantic racist asshole who deserves everything he gets and more.

The collapse of the website and the vicious infighting we are seeing in the fallout is what you would expect from a group of people who make a living promoting race hate, bigotry and vicious right wing propaganda. Breitbart hires nasty little twerps to peddle its garbage, and it was inevitable that they would turn on each other given the right circumstances. According to the Washington Examiner, two more Breitbart employees have resigned today too, also over the sites explicit support of Donald Trump -- a sure sign that the site is in serious trouble.

Just as the Republican Party is tearing itself to pieces over which asshole to get behind, so too is the right wing press -- another victim of Donald Trump's spectacular pillaging campaign that is single handedly destroying conservatism in America. In esoteric terms, this is what we call Karma. And as Ben Shapiro and his former chums at Breitbart are finding out, it is a gigantic bitch.