Here's How The Media Stitched Up Meryl Streep Over Her "We're All Africans" Statement

Streep's statement was deemed "problematic" by the arbiters of all things politically correct, mostly because the comments were taken out of context and no one bothers to read articles in full these days, but also because liberals appear to have nothing better to do that quibble over words they find triggering and offensive to their precious little ears.
Streep's statement was deemed "problematic" by the arbiters of all things politically correct, mostly because the comments were taken out of context and no one bothers to read articles in full these days, but also because liberals appear to have nothing better to do that quibble over words they find triggering and offensive to their precious little ears.
Meryl Streep

While young, unarmed black men are routinely shot dead by trigger happy policemen and extreme free market economics continues to wreck the lives of minorities, one would think liberals would direct their never ending well of outrage at, you know, those committing acts of actual racism and violence towards minorities.

But no, screaming hordes of perpetually aggrieved liberals are going after Meryl Streep because the media selectively quoted her when she told a reporter that "We're all from Africa originally". Streep's statement was deemed "problematic" by the arbiters of all things politically correct, mostly because the comments were taken out of context and no one bothers to read articles in full these days, but also because liberals appear to have nothing better to do that quibble over words they find triggering and offensive to their precious little ears.

Firstly, let's look at how the media reported on Streep's comments. Here was USA Today:

The ongoing controversy about diversity in the film industry reached the Berlin International Film Festivalon Thursday, after remarks made by the president of the festival's jury panel: Oscar-winner Meryl Streep.

The jury for the acclaimed festival is made up of entirely white panelists, and when asked about that by reporters on Thursday, Streep brushed off the question, saying, "we're all Africans really," reports the Associated Press.

Then here was the Washington Post:

Actress Meryl Streep presides over the Berlin International Film Festival jury, and when asked Thursday about the lack of racial diversity among its members, she responded in part by saying “we’re all Africans, really.”

And the AP:

The Berlin International Film Festival became embroiled Thursday in the debate about diversity in the movie industry, with jury president Meryl Streep dismissing questions about the all-white panel by telling reporters that "we're all Africans, really."

To call this misleading would be the understatement of the year -- Streep unequivocally did not answer the question about lack of racial diversity by saying "we're all Africans really". Streep was asked at a press conference for the Festival why the Berlin jury had no black members, and she gave the following response:

This jury is evidence that at least women are included..In fact, we [women] dominate this jury. That's an unusual situation in bodies of people that make decisions.

Later, she was asked by an Egyptian reporter whether she understood films from the Arab world and North Africa, and Streep answered that while she did not know a lot about the region, she has “played a lot of different people from a lot of different cultures." She added that, "there is a core of humanity that travels right through every culture, and after all we’re all from Africa originally....Berliners, we’re all Africans, really.”

There is certainly something to be said about Streep's evasion of the original question particularly in the light of the Oscar's fairly serious lack of diversity, but this hit job orchestrated by click hungry journalists does nothing to further the debate in a constructive way. Yes, Streep was evasive about minority representation on the Berlin jury, but she said absolutely nothing that could be deemed stupid or offensive. Her point that women make up the majority of the panel should not be dismissed either, despite twitter hordes claiming she is 'whitesplaining' and dismissing minorities. This tweet, picked up by the Washington Post, was particularly indicative of this idiotic thinking:

No, no, no. It is not "problematic" and Streep is not saying women of color "aren't women." Meryl Streep was simply avoiding an uncomfortable question and diverting with a semi relevant fact that the jury should actual be quite proud of, even if it has work to do in becoming more diverse.

To reiterate, Streep did not answer the question about lack of diversity by saying "we're all Africans," or say anything about minority women not being women or anything else offensive towards minorities. Furthermore, her answer to the Egyptian journalist was in fact, entirely correct. We are all from Africa originally, and we are all Africans, as any good biologist will tell you.