Thin-Skinned Bully Donald Trump Says He Wants To Do Away With the First Amendment

In Trump's America, if you write something negative about him, he can sue you into the ground.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
In Trump's America, if you write something negative about him, he can sue you into the ground.
Donald Trump on Freedom of speech

In addition to being a rotting tangerine with a comb-over made of corn silk and a reality show con man, Donald Trump is, maybe above all else, a thin-skinned bully. His snotty Twitter tantrums that invariably occur each and every time anyone dares call him out for his horseshit is proof of this, so it really can’t be overstated. Trump is the Kanye of politics right now: easily butthurt and never respected enough for his supposed genius.

Still, if you need yet another example of just how juvenile Trump is when he feels he’s been insulted -- if, say, his vulgar crusade against Megyn Kelly for the crime of asking him tough questions or his 25-year-old feud with Graydon Carter for making a joke about his stubby fingers wasn’t enough for you -- look no further than his latest absurdist campaign promise.

In response to a series of, you know, objective columns and articles about his embarrassing push for the White House and his own personal glory, Trump now says that if elected he’ll change the law so that news outlets who write negatively about him can be sued into submission. For those not versed in the Constitution, that would mean upending the First Amendment -- nearly impossible, to be sure, but still one hell of a fascistic thing to claim to want to do.

At a rally in Texas, Trump said he wants to “open up our libel laws so when (journalists) write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money.” He singled out The New York Times and The Washington Post as “the most dishonest media outlets I’ve ever seen in my life” and called journalists in general “among the most dishonest groups of people I’ve ever met -- they’re terrible.”

Now it just about goes without saying that taking control of the media is the kind of thing a dictator does, particularly one who from the very start is as childish and insecure as Trump. But it’s still fascinating to throw this onto the pile of pie-in-the-sky promises Trump is making to those stupid enough to believe him.

No, he’s not going to frog-march 11 million people out of the country. No, he’s not going to make Mexico pay for a fucking wall along our border. And no, he’s absolutely not going to adjust the Constitution so that he can sue anyone who writes something negative about him. But the fact that all of these represent his vision of an America under President Donald Trump should be a stark reminder that we can’t let this rampaging asshole anywhere near the White House.