Why Ben Carson's Attack on Obama's Blackness is His Dumbest Move Yet

Once a brief contender for the Republican presidential primary lead, Dr. Ben Carson has settled into a glorified book tour/Fox News audition/consultant gravy train masquerading as a presidential campaign, but he's still a reliable source for premium shit-talking. On MSNBC today, Carson explained how President Obama isn't nearly as black as he is, because that's obviously the selling point he's been missing:

  I simply was responding to something that someone was saying. And the fact of the matter is, you know, he did not grow up in black America. He grew up in white America. Doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just that when the claim is made that he represents the black experience, it’s just not true.

That remark was a follow-up to comments he made in a Politico interview, in which he insisted that Obama spent his formative years in Indonesia, which is, I guess, the same as White America?

  “He’s an ‘African’ American. He was, you know, raised white. Many of his formative years were spent in Indonesia. So, for him to, you know, claim that, you know, he identifies with the experience of black Americans, I think, is a bit of a stretch.”

This isn't the first time Carson's blackness has been pitted against Obama's, which may give you a clue to the "reasoning" behind Carson's current black attack.

That was in October, and at the time, Carson defended Murdoch, not by making an issue of Obama's blackness, but by making stuff up:

  “Everybody’s entitled to their opinion. I believe what he was making reference to was the fact that here was a man who was a black president that the black community was very excited about who came in and whose policies have not really elevated the black community. He has not been beneficial. There’s more unemployment, more poverty, and I believe that’s what he was really referring to.”

Republican voters have clearly decided against voting for their one black friend this time around, so Carson can't possibly believe he'll pick up any support with this barrage, but it's a crowd-pleaser, and I'll give you three guesses which crowd he'll be pleasing with this act after the campaign is over.