Obama Schools Matt Lauer Over Truly Ridiculous Question About Donald Trump

While we're at it, let's get Jesus to answer for the popularity of the Pontius Pilate campaign.
While we're at it, let's get Jesus to answer for the popularity of the Pontius Pilate campaign.
1lauer

As he prepares to deliver his final State of the Union address, President Obama granted an interview to The Today Show's Matt Lauer, who took the opportunity to join many current political "thinkers" in trying to blame Obama for the rise of the white resentment-fueled Trump phenomenon.

The President patiently explained to Lauer that millions of people didn't just wake up hateful on Inauguration Day 2009, and threw in a priceless dig at Trump at the end of the interview:

[ooyala id=VwNDI1MDE6SZYJDsmLgQRGeSGBock32O]

President Obama: The message that Donald Trump is putting out has had adherents a lot of times during the course of our history. You know, talk to me if he wins, then we'll have a conversation about how responsible I feel about it, but I'm pretty confident that the overwhelming majority of Americans are looking for the kind of politics that does feed our hopes and not our fears, that does work together and doesn't try to divide us, that isn't looking for simplistic solutions and scapegoating, but looks for us, you know, buckling down and figuring out how to do we make things work for the next generation.

Matt Lauer: So when you stand and deliver that State of the Union address, in no part of your mind or brain can you imagine Donald Trump standing up one day and delivering a State of the Union address?

President Obama: Well, I can imagine it in a Saturday Night skit. Look, anything is possible, and I think, you know, we shouldn't be complacent. I think everybody's got to work hard.

via GIPHY

Damn, son! I think Trump is gonna need some aloe vera for that burn!

Don't judge Lauer too harshly, though. I'm sure if he had survived, you could find some reporter asking Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. if he feels responsible for George Wallace.