Even Donald Trump Thinks This Year's Oscars Are Too White

trumpdash

This year's Oscar nominees are so white, John Boyega is asking if he can keep his Stormtrooper helmet on for the next Star Wars movie, but let's face it. Observing how white the Oscars are has become an annual rite. This year, every single acting nominee is white, and director Alejandro Iñárritu is the only nonwhite person to crack the top categories, which has once again given rise to the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag, and talk of a boycott, along with the predictable backlash against the backlash.

Into that fray has stepped Fox News regular and Clueless actress Stacey Dash, who took the #OscarsSoWhite debate to another level Wednesday morning when she called out Black Entertainment Television's BET Awards for excluding white performers (which it doesn't do). Later in the same broadcast, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump was asked about the controversy over this year's completely white Academy Awards field of acting nominees, and Trump revealed that Dash had torn the scales from his eyes.

"I saw somebody on your show today saying well, what do we do with BET? Black Entertainment, right?" Trump said, as the hosts indicated it was Dash. "So over there -- the whites don't get any nominations or don't get -- and I thought it was an amazing interview, actually. I never even thought of it from that standpoint."

Before you start up your #BETAwardsSoBlack hashtag, though, Trump went on to say that he doesn't think this year's awards are properly representative, that it's a "sad" and "difficult situation," and in a rare case of the pot calling the kettle black while avoiding actually calling him black, that Al Sharpton just wants publicity:

Well I think it's a tough situation. I think it's really sad. And you know, Al is just a guy who wants to get publicity for himself. And I understand him very well. Al would actually probably say that he was a friend of Donald Trump, okay? Maybe not on television, but outside of television.

I think it's a tough situation. I saw somebody on your show today saying well, what do we do with BET? Black Entertainment, right? So over there -- the whites don't get any nominations, or don't get -- and I thought it was an amazing interview, actually. I never even thought of it from that standpoint.

But with all of that being said, it would certainly be nice if everybody could be represented properly. And hopefully that's the case. But perhaps it's not the case. It's a -- it's a difficult situation.

...Over the years I've seen, numerous black actors, and African-american actors receive Academy Awards. And I think that's great. This doesn't happen to be one of those years. But, it's a difficult situation.

It's probably a lucky thing that Trump didn't catch the part of Dash's act that included asking the mind-blowing liberal narrative destroying "Why isn't there a White History Month?"

In other news, Michael Moore teased MSNBC host Chris Hayes with the prospect of an endorsement, only to lay off the decision until perhaps later this week. He did, however, share some of his deliberative process, and gave Hillary Clinton and her supporters the chance to throw up a little by describing his "forbidden love" for the former Secretary of State:

Moore: Well, I haven't said publicly yet because I haven't been on TV til right now. Let me say this. I flew to Burlington, Vermont in 1990 the year after I made "Roger and Me," Bernie asked me to come up there and I endorsed him and did a rally for him in Burlington when he first ran for congress. So was, I'm probably the first endorser of Bernie and have endorsed him all these years. Having said that, while I have obviously many disagreements with Hillary about her vote on the war and her relationship with Wall Street, whatever, I also in my first book in '96, I wrote a chapter called "My forbidden love for Hillary.

Hayes: I remember that chapter, actually.

Moore: I've always really liked her, and not just in a -- in a forbidden way.

Hayes: Fully.

Moore: Yes.

It's true, folks, Moore did write said chapter in his book Downsize This, in which he said, among other things, that "Hilary Rodham is one hot shitkickin' feminist babe."

On the one hand, it's nice to hear Moore give voice to something that I'm sure a lot of us felt. Right from the start, I always found Hillary's combination of attributes extremely attractive, not in an "I'd like to hit that" way, but more of a "She'd make a much better president than her husband, and she's way out of everyone's league" kind of way. It's a part of her appeal that has always been underutilized, in my view.

But on the other hand, that shit was cute in 1996, when we were in our twenties. Wait, what? Michael Moore is 61? Okay, it was gross then, too.

Moore went on to explain the deliberative process by which he will deliver said endorsement in the coming days, the entire point of which seems to have been to squeeze in a not-so-humblebrag at the end:

Moore: Obviously, my politics line up very closely with Bernie's. But we have a historic moment where we could elect the first woman president of the United States. And you know, I got invited to the White House by the Clintons back in the day. And they were really nice to me. And I got to eat whatever I wanted to eat. It was all very friendly.

Hayes: You know lefties are tearing their hair out right now.

Moore: We were going through the reception line. And Bill goes 'I'm your number one fan.' She grabbed his hand and goes 'No, I'm your number one fan.' They're great.

I don't know who Michael Moore thinks he's kidding here, of course he's going to endorse Bernie Sanders. The only people who give a good f*ck what Michael Moore thinks are already voting for Bernie, and if he endorsed Hillary instead, none of them would switch their vote, they would just cease giving a good f*ck what Michael Moore thinks and grief him with the heat of a thousand suns. But at least now we know that Hillary Clinton is Michael Moore's number one fan, and that Michael Moore's impression of Hillary sounds like Peter Lorre in mid-fap.

Moore is right about one thing: the most important thing is that the Democratic nominee be the next president, but he and Bernie are in for a shock when those general election polls turn on a dime because Sanders actually has someone campaigning against him. If he thinks Hillary has been rough, he hasn't been paying attention.

Finally, speaking of endorsements, Tucker Carlson's not too impressed by Sarah Palin's nod to Trump last night:

I'm probably the only one thinking this, but I'm not convinced that Sarah Palin is good for Trump at all. She's not that impressive, she squandered this great political capital she had eight years ago and hasn't achieved anything since, and also she gives disjointed speeches. The whole point of Donald Trump is that he doesn't take endorsements or need them. He is running outside normal channels, he doesn't suck up, he's beholden to no one. And that is one of the reasons he looks so uncomfortable. I'm sure I'm only one who think this, he looks like a guy out of his element all of sudden.

No, Tucker Carlson isn't the only one who thinks Trump looked uncomfortable. He's joined in that opinion by people with functioning eyes, especially when Palin started praising Trump punching bag Rand Paul.

Where Carlson errs is in thinking that Palin won't help Trump, a mistake that a lot of people make about Palin because of their own personal distaste for the former Alaska governor.

It's true that like a Michael Moore endorsement of Bernie Sanders, a Palin endorsement is unlikely to sway many voters, but what it does do is give Donald Trump complete title and deed to another several news cycles, plus a down payment on future news cycles while Palin is campaigning for him. It was almost surreal to watch commentators on MSNBC opine about Palin's faded star even as they carried every second of her endorsement live, and talked about it for the rest of the night.