Republican Strategist's Assertion About Radical Islam Is Literally Jaw-Dropping

These people have just awful memories.
These people have just awful memories.
jawdropping

This is the same kind of stupidity that lets Republicans forget that 9/11 happened on George W. Bush's watch, or that leads people to think that Donald Trump was some sort of Karnac for "predicting" 9/11. Republican strategist Katie Packer literally made Chris Hayes' jaw drop when he asserted that Americans have a more heightened "realization" about radical Islam than they did following the attacks of 9/11:

Packer: Well, I don't know that we were in the -- that we had the same realization back then that we have today. certainly --

Hayes: After 9/11?!?!?

Packer: Well, you know, after 9/11 it was not necessarily a sense that this was a global thing that was happening on every street corner.

Hayes: Katie, after -- you're saying this is a -- that we have a better realization of international jihad now than after 9/11?

Packer: Absolutely. A realization 15 years later after we've seen people get shot in movie theaters and on street corners --

Hayes: As opposed to 3,000 Americans murdered?

Packer: I'm not talking about the number. In everyday life. I'm talking about the instances we didn't have people ten years ago flying planes into every cafe on every corner. Two weeks ago we had people just sitting enjoying coffee at a cafe in Paris and having guns pulled out on them. So it does bring it a little bit closer to home.

Whaaaa??? This is so staggeringly dumb on so many levels, I hardly know where to begin, but how about with the fact that there was plenty of coffee in the World Trade Center. That was plenty close to home, and in the aftermath of 9/11, there were lots of attacks on people around the world who were just going about their business. How about the fact that our "realization" was so intense that, as Hayes pointed out, President Bush felt compelled, over and over again, to tell Americans not to blame Islam. As someone on Twitter pointed out, "WHITE Americans 'shot people in movie theaters'," to which Packer tried to reply that she called the Paris venue a "theater" just like everybody else, but sadly, she didn't. She said "movie theaters."

It is Repubicans' wildest wet dream that they can get people as scared now as they were after 9/11, so it's no surprise they'd try to alter reality to do it.