My Interview on Ayahuasca And The Importance of Psychedelics

Thom Hartmann invited Banter editor Ben Cohen on his show last night to discuss an article he published recently on his experience with the powerful psychedelic brew "Ayahuasca" earlier this year.
Thom Hartmann invited Banter editor Ben Cohen on his show last night to discuss an article he published recently on his experience with the powerful psychedelic brew "Ayahuasca" earlier this year.
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 11.47.00 AM

My friend Thom Hartmann invited me on his show last night to discuss an article I published recently on my experience with the powerful psychedelic brew "Ayahuasca" earlier this year.

I was a little nervous to publish the article let alone go on live television to discuss it given the stigma surrounding psychedelics, but I feel it is an important topic that needs to be brought to mainstream attention in a responsible way. I am not religious, not part of any New Age spiritual movement, and don't advocate casual use of psychoactive compounds -- but I do believe our society has overlooked these traditional medicines that can have profound, life changing effects if taken in the right context.

Right now, psychedelics are making a very serious comeback in western societies as scientists are becoming aware of their enormous value to field of psychology, psychiatry and therapy. I believe this is also in response to an innate understanding that we are dangerously out of sync with the ecosystems that support us, and psychedelics offer a way to "re-sensitize" ourselves to our natural environment. This is incredibly important if we want to make meaningful changes to our relationship with nature as it becomes less of an academic problem, and more of something we actually "feel".

Anyhow, I did my best to articulate all of this in the interview, so check it out: