Video: President Obama's Remarks on National Security Before Thanksgiving

The President delivered remrks from the Roosevelt Room Wednesday afternoon.
The President delivered remrks from the Roosevelt Room Wednesday afternoon.
obama national security

On Wednesday morning, the White House announced tht President Obama would be meeting wit his national security team in the Situation Room, after which he would deliver a statement:

Later in the morning, the President will meet with members of his national security team, who will brief him on our homeland security posture in the wake of the tragic attacks in Paris and as we enter the holiday season. This meeting in the Situation Room is closed press. At the conclusion of this meeting the President will deliver a statement in Roosevelt Room.

Here is the full video of President Obama's remarks:

Good morning, everybody. I had a chance to meet with the national security team, including my homeland secretary Jeh Johnson and Loretta Lynch, and checking with our team about the security post Paris and going into the holiday weekend.

We all recognize how heinous what took place in Paris was, and as I said yesterday, for many of us, it touched a deep chord given the relationship of the United States and France and the degree to which the Americans see in Paris a way of life that is so familiar to us here in American cities. Given the shocking images, Americans are asking each other whether it is safe here, whether it is safe to fly or gather. And I know that the families have discussed their fears about the threat of terrorism around the dinner table, and many for the first time since September 11th, And it is understandable that people worry if something similar could happen here. And the events in Paris made the threats feel closer to home.

As we are going into Thanksgiving weekend, I want the American people to know that we are taking every possible step to keep our homeland safe. first, we are going after ISIL wherever they hide, and I will speak about this in more detail in the coming weeks, but let me remind you of what the coalition of 65 countries is doing to defeat these people. And so far, we have conducted over 900 air strikes on the area, and those strikes along with the troops on the ground have taken out key leaders and taken back strongholds in Iraq and Syria.

We choke off the financing and the supply lines, and counter the recruitment and the messaging, and even as America are already supporting French air strikes in Syria, President Hollande and I agreed yesterday to step up our coordination more. So we are stepping up the pressure on ISIL where it lives, and we will not let up, adjusting the tactics where necessary, until they are beaten.

That is the first goal. Second, we continue to do everything possible to prevent the attacks at home and abroad and to prevent foreign  fighters from entering the United States or other nations. Since 9/11 we have taken extraordinary measures to strengthening the homeland security from aviation to border to information sharing. We have improved upon these actions over time. Any time that there's an event, we learn something from it, and we continue to refine it. We continue to improve upon our approaches as we speak.

Now, right now, we know of no specific and credible intelligence indicating a plot on the homeland. That is based on the latest information that I just received in the Situation Room. It is similar to the briefing they received on Saturday before I left on my trip last week. So as Americans are traveling this weekend to be with their loved ones, I want them to know that the counter terrorism, and security and law enforcement professionals at every level are working overtime, and they are continually monitoring threats at home and abroad, continually evaluating our security posture. They are constantly working to protect all of us. Their work has prevented attacks. Their efforts have saved lives. They serve every hour every day for the sake of our security security. They did so before Paris, and they do so now, without fanfare or credit and without a break for the holidays.

So the bottom line is this, I want the American people to know that entering the holidays that the combined resources of our military, our intelligence and our homeland security agencies are on the case. They are vigilant. relentless and effective. In the event of a specific credible threat, the public will be informed. We do think it is useful for people as they are going about their business to be vigilant. If you see something suspicious, say something. That is always helpful. but otherwise, Americans should go about their usual Thanksgiving weekend activities. Spending time with family and friends and celebrating our blessings. While the threat of terrorism is a troubling event of our age, it is in the face of our being resilient, and in the wake of those who are protecting us from harm. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.