If Ben Carson Does Not Believe in Evolution, He is Not Qualified to Become President of the United States

Carson is either an idiot or lying about his rejection of the theory of evolution. Either way it proves he has no place running for the Presidency of the United States.
Carson is either an idiot or lying about his rejection of the theory of evolution. Either way it proves he has no place running for the Presidency of the United States.
BenCarson

It is entirely possible that the theory of evolution will change or be considered incomplete in time to come. It is also possible that the entire theory may be overthrown and replaced with completely different understanding of how life evolved and continues to evolve on planet earth.

For this to happen, there would need to be a considerable amount of evidence to unseat the current theory -- evidence that as far as we know, does not exist. Darwin's theory of evolution, while tweaked over several decades, has held strong for the past 156 years because an overwhelming amount of evidence supports the notion that biological life evolves over time by adapting to its environment. As the environment changes, life forms best adapted to those changes survive best and are able to reproduce in higher numbers. And thus the appearance of biological life changes, sometimes quite radically, over time.

This is not a particularly difficult concept to understand, and given the overwhelming genetic, physical, geographical and chemical evidence that supports it, completely obvious.

But not so for GOP presidential candidate Ben Carson -- a respected neurosurgeon and member of the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine -- who is apparently incapable understanding basic biology taught to 11 year olds.

In a recent talk in one of Metro Nashville's largest churches in Tennessee, Carson hit back at progressives who have questioned his not-so-scientific understanding of evolution. Said Carson:

They say, 'Carson, ya know, how can you be a surgeon, a neurosurgeon, and believe that God created the Earth, and not believe in evolution, which is the basis of all knowledge and all science?... Well, you know, it's kind of funny. But I do believe God created us, and I did just fine. So I don't know where they get that stuff from, ya know? It's not true. And in fact, the more you know about God, and the deeper your relationship with God, I think the more intricate becomes your knowledge of the way things work, including the human body.

If you are confused, don't worry, you should be. Is Carson claiming he does now believe in evolution? For further reference, his past statements would indicate he unequivocally does not believe in the theory of evolution. Here he was speaking at the Celebration of Creation conference in 2011 (h/t Gawker):

  • "I submit that changes can occur within a species. But is that a sign of evolution, or is it a sign of an intelligent creator who gave his creatures the ability to adapt to their environment so he wouldn’t have to start over every 50 years? You know, that sounds much more intelligent than anything else."

  • "And no one has ever demonstrated one species changing to another species. This should be, if it’s true, a continual evolving. So we should be able to find intermediate species at any given point in time. We should be able to find how they line up.”

  • "Darwin said his whole theory depended on the fossil remains. He said we should be able to line up from a single-cell organism to man, several miles long and just walk right down the fossil trail and see how everything evolved. He said the only reason they didn’t have the fossils was because they were not geologically sophisticated enough, but that we would be in 50 to 100 years. Well, that was 150 years ago. We still haven’t found them. Where are they? Where are the fossil remains?"

  • "When you ask the evolutionists about that, they say, ‘Uh, I don’t know where they are, they’re somewhere, they are, we just haven’t found them yet.’ That’s a pretty lame excuse, to be honest with you.”

These statements coming from a respected neurosurgeon are frankly shocking. Each of these statements are provably wrong, and Carson is either an idiot or lying. Either way it proves he has no place running for the Presidency of the United States. Let's look at them one by one:

"I submit that changes can occur within a species. But is that a sign of evolution, or is it a sign of an intelligent creator who gave his creatures the ability to adapt to their environment so he wouldn’t have to start over every 50 years? You know, that sounds much more intelligent than anything else."

It's one thing to argue there was an original creator of the universe, but to argue "he" or "she" created ready made animals that have a limited ability to change their DNA over 50 year periods or so is, well, frankly ridiculous. We know this to be false. Species diverge all the time and the fossil record demonstrates this unequivocally.

"And no one has ever demonstrated one species changing to another species. This should be, if it’s true, a continual evolving. So we should be able to find intermediate species at any given point in time. We should be able to find how they line up.”

Other than of course, the actual fossil record of intermediate species.

"Darwin said his whole theory depended on the fossil remains. He said we should be able to line up from a single-cell organism to man, several miles long and just walk right down the fossil trail and see how everything evolved. He said the only reason they didn’t have the fossils was because they were not geologically sophisticated enough, but that we would be in 50 to 100 years. Well, that was 150 years ago. We still haven’t found them. Where are they? Where are the fossil remains?"

Here. And here. And here.

"When you ask the evolutionists about that, they say, ‘Uh, I don’t know where they are, they’re somewhere, they are, we just haven’t found them yet.’ That’s a pretty lame excuse, to be honest with you.”

Given transitional fossils are no longer rare discoveries, this is again, utter nonsense.

As Richard Dawkins told CNN's Fareed Zakaria:

For a very senior eminent distinguished doctor as he [Carson] is to say that is even worse. Because of course, evolution is the bedrock of biology and biology is the bedrock of medicine. He clearly doesn't understand the fundamental theorem of his own subject. That is a terrible indictment.

It is a form of arrogance to say we know what God does...The only way to know anything is by looking at the evidence. In this particular case, the evidence is overwhelming... In the case of evolution, there is no doubt. It is a fact.

But then Ben Carson has his own evidence, pulled directly out of his ass.