Conservatives Mount Odd Defense of Donald Trump's Paris Gun Control Tweet

Andrea Mitchell wrongfully accused Donald Trump of being an asshole during Friday night's terrorist attacks in Paris, and conservatives demand an apology.
Andrea Mitchell wrongfully accused Donald Trump of being an asshole during Friday night's terrorist attacks in Paris, and conservatives demand an apology.
trump-fat

One of the grim side-projects to accompany every catastrophic news event is the cataloging and shaming of insensitive, inaccurate, or offensive social media activity, and Friday's deadly terrorist attacks in Paris were no exception. In one absurd example of this phenomenon, outraged conservatives are demanding an apology for this report by MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell:

I wanted to just make a point, there is, in this era of social media, no timeout for politics. While people are grieving, while the dead are being recovered, while France, our oldest and closest ally, is being -- is under siege, Donald Trump has tweeted, "Isn't it interesting that the tragedy in Paris took place in one of the toughest gun control countries in the world." And that drew a direct message from Gerard Arau, a French Ambassador to the United States. a diplomat now getting involved in American politics. He wrote back to Donald Trump on Twitter, "This message is repugnant in its lack of any human decency. Vulture."

I've never seen a diplomat responding to a presidential candidate. But this is a candidate who went on twitter in the middle of a national crisis for one of our closest allies.

Conservatives are hopping mad, and not because Araud's tweet wasn't actually a "direct message," and not because it wasn't a real tweet. Here it is:

No, they're mad because Trump wasn't being an asshole during this tragic terrorist attack in Paris, he was being an asshole during a different tragic terrorist attack in Paris, January's attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine. Araud has since deleted his reply to Trump, but his fans can shove their apology up their ass with the horse they rode in on.