This One Image Sums Up Perfectly the Giant Mountain of Sh*t That Is the Benghazi Hearing

It really would be a thing of beauty if you and I weren't paying for this never-ending clusterfuck.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It really would be a thing of beauty if you and I weren't paying for this never-ending clusterfuck.
Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.21.31 PM

Because it's Thursday, Hillary Clinton is spending her day on Capitol Hill being questioned about Benghazi and her e-mails. Asking the questions -- or, in their sanctimonious parlance, "demanding answers" -- are people who've already admitted they don't actually give a single crap about the lives lost in Benghazi and only value them insofar as they constitute a manufactured scandal they can hang around the neck of the Democratic frontrunner for president in 2016.

Still, Hillary has to sit there calmly and pretend that new Shermer High School principal Trey Gowdy is someone who deserves to be taken seriously rather than be laughed out of the room. She was doing a pretty good job of it, taking only one opportunity to let her true feelings come through when Republican Rep. Peter J. Roskam of Illinois patronizingly offered to stop talking so that Hillary could look through the notes her aides had supposedly prepared for her. Hillary's response: to throw Roskam's smarmy-little-shit condescension right back at him. "(I can) do more than one thing at a time, congressman. Thanks," she said.

That was the highlight of the hearing for the day -- until the whole thing devolved into the circus it actually is a little later. It started when Gowdy's new arch nemesis, Democratic Rep. Elijah Cummings, faced off against him over his ongoing obsession with Sidney Blumenthal, saying with regard to the longtime Clinton friend and confidante and sudden player in this whole mess, "I move that we put into the record the entire transcript of Sidney Blumental. We’re going to release the emails, let’s do the transcript, that way the world can see it.” Cummings then proclaimed, over Gowdy's objections, that he had consulted with the parliamentarian and received the go-ahead to vote on the motion. To that, Gowdy shot back, “The parliamentarian told me that your motion actually would not be in order for a hearing."

From that point it just degenerated into a bunch of people talking over each other while Hillary sat silently, watching and no doubt wondering what the hell she was doing there. But at thanks to CNN's split-screen, we got one quick second that summed up the whole proceedings and Hillary's thoughts about them. As Gowdy engaged in some truly epic grandstanding about those who "risked their lives" in Benghazi -- fighting off a violent attack not unlike the 13 attacks that happened during the Bush administration and the ten during the Reagan administration, all of which spawned a total of one investigation that went nowhere --  Hillary put her fingers to her temples and gave us this moment of perfection:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 1.30.13 PM

Meanwhile, a little earlier, there was this: As Gowdy shot down Cummings, making it clear right off the bat that he wouldn't entertain the Maryland congressman's request to admit the Blumenthal transcript -- basically, as the hearing began to go off the rails -- Hillary had nothing to add but the smile of someone whose plan was coming to flawless fruition.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 2.20.29 PM

It really would be a thing of beauty if you and I weren't paying for this never-ending clusterfuck.

(via Gawker)