Sh*t Ben Carson Says

Ben Carson is taking a lot of heat over comments he keeps making about the Oregon shooting, but it's starting to look like he's completely incapable of saying anything normal.
Ben Carson is taking a lot of heat over comments he keeps making about the Oregon shooting, but it's starting to look like he's completely incapable of saying anything normal.
Ben Carson

Ben Carson is taking a lot of heat over comments he keeps making about the Oregon shooting, but it's starting to look like he's completely incapable of saying anything normal.

By now, you've probably seen one of the many examples of Ben Carson explaining how if he was ever up against a mass shooter, he wouldn't "cooperate" or just "let" himself get shot. Here's a little sample, complete with the odd laugh that's also getting attention:

https://youtu.be/M1Br6OuV9eY

He also told Sirius XM radio host Karen Hunter what he did when he came face-to-face with an actual gunman. Spoiler alert: he pussied out.

https://youtu.be/0LTg41_RCiE

Carson has a history of not just garden variety gaffes, but really weird ones, like the time he told Chris Cuomo that prison makes people gay:

http://youtu.be/9i4S9pRrQKA

CUOMO: You think being gay is a choice?

CARSON: Absolutely. CUOMO: Why do you say that?

CARSON: Because a lot of people who go into prison, go into prison straight, and when they come out they're gay. So did something happen while they were in there?

CUOMO: Most gays never go to prison. And you know there's a whole theory of dominance.

CARSON: Wait a minute. I said a lot of people who go in come out -- are you denying that that's true?

CUOMO: I am not denying that that's true, but I am denying that that's a basis of understanding homosexuality.

CARSON: If, in fact, that is the case, then it obviously thwarts what you just said.

It's also super-weird to quote a Bible verse about humility in order to boast about how much more humble you are than the other guy:

https://youtu.be/ffvMOrYtdwQ

Even on simple matters of substance, Carson can't get it together. Here he is, this week, not knowing what the debt limit is:

https://youtu.be/Mn4KIlVIBE8

But even when he's doing something completely innocuous, Carson can't seem to avoid saying really weird stuff. For example, Carson visited North Carolina a few weeks ago (about the same time he defended the flying of the Confederate flag at NASCAR events) and toured Victory Junction, a camp for kids with severe illnesses and disabilities that was founded by Richard Petty in honor of his late son, Adam. Petty showed Carson around the facilities and talked about some of the activities that are available to the kids, and this is how Carson reacted:

https://youtu.be/SAd55azOKaI

"It's almost worth having a handicap just so you can come here." (weird laugh)

That's a deeply weird thing to say, and it made me start to reconsider my assessment of Ben Carson. I've always viewed him as a sort of Candy Crush for resentful white conservatives, stimulating their pleasure centers as a means to keep them playing, much like his Pinball Wizard entry onto the political scene at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast. But now, I'm starting to think that this is who he really is, and it is he who is being propelled by the rewards of his fandom.

Update: Carson is at it again, this time insisting to Andrea Mitchell that he wasn't criticizing the victims of the Oregon shooting, then explaining that they were "all there waiting their turn," and that he would never "sit there and allow that," as all "average people with common sense" understand:

https://youtu.be/KXr15joDjSU

"In a situation where you had a madman who was systematically assassinating people after asking them a question, and they're all there waiting their turn, I would not wait my turn. I would say let's do something, you know, attack, unless you have an easy method of escape, of course, you escape but assuming you don't have an easy method of escape, why would you just sit there and allow him to do that? I think average people with common sense understand that."

Update: I meant to do another post about this, but I'll just mention it here: remember that time Andrea Mitchell spent 13 minutes of her Hillary Clinton interview on emails? Now, observe how she moved along from every insane thing Ben Carson said during their interview today, i.e. everything Ben Carson said. Ridiculous.