Quote of the Day: Bill Maher on Rich Assholes

Bill Maher hits the nail on the head.
Bill Maher hits the nail on the head.
stevejobs1

When it comes to adulation of the rich, America really is in league of its own. There are signs that this bizarre fetish is on its way out, particularly when rich people do asshole things like this.

But for now, America is still the land of rabid aspiration regardless of how likely your dreams of massive material wealth are. Bill Maher hits the nail on the head:

The new Steve Jobs movie, cleverly titled “Steve Jobs,” broke box office records in its limited release, which is only surprising if you think movies should be interesting. I haven’t seen it, just like I haven’t seen the two previous movies about Steve Jobs, because what the hell do I want to watch a movie about a marketer for? A Mac has the same hard drive and RAM and keyboard as any other computer, it just looks a little cooler and the advertising is hipper. You might as well make a movie about the Geico insurance CEO. But then I started reading the reviews, and they all mention what a huge asshole Jobs was, and now I understand. Because for some reason, America loves rich assholes. Charles Foster Kane, Jay Gatsby, everyone on “Dallas,” Tony Stark, Donald Trump… I guess it’s because, despite the delusion Americans have that we’re a generous and kind nation, secretly we all wish we were billionaires so we could tell the world to kiss our ass.

Steve Jobs was a brilliant business man and marketer, but an asshole who stole money from his friends, fired people without warning and claimed their two week notice was "retroactive from two weeks ago."

Not exactly the greatest role model for a decent and humane society. But then this is America and Steve Jobs made billions. So who cares?