It's Against Ben Carson's Religion to Eat at Popeyes

Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Judge not, lest ye be judged.
popeyes

Retired brain surgeon and current Republican presidential runner-up Ben Carson has been making a whole lot of noise this week, mostly about his own Oregon shooting self-fanfic, but some of it regarding his run-in with a gunman at a Popeyes restaurant. While Carson insists that he would have totally rushed the Oregon shooter, here's what happened when he came face-to-face with a real gunman:

https://youtu.be/0LTg41_RCiE

Carson: "The guy comes, puts the gun in my ribs, I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter.' He thought I was..."

Hunter: "In that calm way?"

Carson: "He said, oh, okay."

Hunter: "You just redirected him to..."

Carson: "Yeah, redirected him."

My hero!

You might also recall that Carson laid the smack down on Donald Trump a few weeks ago over his apparently inferior piety, which is why it's so interesting that Carson got held up at a Popeyes. Carson, you see, is a Seventh Day Adventist, so eating at Popeyes is against his religion:

we believe God calls us to care for our bodies, treating them with the respect a divine creation deserves. Gluttony and excess, even of something good, can be detrimental to our health.

Adventists believe the key to wellness lies in a life of balance and temperance. Nature creates a wealth of good things that lead to vibrant health. Pure water, fresh air and sunlight—when used appropriately—promote clean, healthy lives.

Exercise and avoidance of harmful substances such as tobacco, alcohol and mind-altering substances lead to clear minds and wise choices. A well-balanced vegetarian diet that avoids the consumption of meat coupled with intake of legumes, whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables, along with a source of vitamin B12, will promote vigorous health.

The church also says it "recognizes the autonomy of each individual and his or her God-given power of choice" and that "(r)ather than mandating standards of behavior, Adventists call upon one another to live as positive examples of God’s love and care," so although they frown on his visit to the restaurant, he's technically in the clear. We're still looking for that verse about turning the guy behind the counter's cheek.