Ben Carson Will Stab You

Ben Carson: brain surgeon, presidential candidate, and former violent sociopath.
Ben Carson: brain surgeon, presidential candidate, and former violent sociopath.
ben_carson

Ben Carson: brain surgeon, presidential candidate, and former violent sociopath.

Yes, the candidate who appears to be falling asleep when on the campaign trail was once so full of energy that he went after people with "rocks, and bricks, and baseball bats, and hammers," and even a knife.

In what can only be described as a seriously weird interview, Carson told Chuck Todd on Meet the Press that contrary to public perception, he has so much energy that he took it out on people in the form of extreme violence. Here was the exchange:

CHUCK TODD: Do you think that people mistake your soft-spokenness with a lack of energy?

DR. BEN CARSON: I think so. I have plenty of energy. But, you know, I am soft-spoken. I do have a tendency to be relaxed. I wasn’t always like that. There was a time when I was, you know, very volatile. But, you know, I changed.

CHUCK TODD: When was that?

DR. BEN CARSON: As a teenager. I would go after people with rocks, and bricks, and baseball bats, and hammers. And, of course, many people know the story when I was 14 and I tried to stab someone. And, you know, fortunately, you know, my life has been changed. And I’m a very different person now.

Bob Cesca's take on this is spot on:

What’s obvious here, though, is that Ben Carson is a serial fibber. Seriously, who comes up with a list of random weapons like that? But if it’s true, what the hell was going on in Carson’s life that he had to go around accosting people with hammers and bricks? It’s difficult to imagine soporific Ben Carson exerting the effort to cut his own meat much less use his own body as a human shield or to get all stabby. And if it’s true, is there something we need to know about Carson’s anger management issues? Again, he tried to stab a guy — possibly with a hammer. Even more disturbing is the fact that Iowa Republicans buy this crapola.

It's unclear what Carson thinks he is achieving here by telling people what an absolute nut-job he was as a teenager, but it won't do him much good should he make it past the primary and go up against a politician who isn't interested in out-crazying him. One can just imagine the debate:

MODERATOR: Please tell the American public how each of you would fight for them every day in the White House.

HILLARY CLINTON/BERNIE SANDERS: I would fight everyday for American jobs, a living wage, workers rights and affordable healthcare.

BEN CARSON: I stabbed someone once and hurt people with random blunt objects. I like to fight.

Regardless of whether Carson is making this up, whoever is advising him on what to say to the media needs firing immediately.