MSNBC Morning 'News' Show Shuts Out Hillary Clinton Polling Surge

If you weren't watching CNN Monday morning, you didn't know that Hillary Clinton's poll numbers have rebounded significantly.
If you weren't watching CNN Monday morning, you didn't know that Hillary Clinton's poll numbers have rebounded significantly.
hrc poll

All those Hillary Clinton supporters who were angry at the suggestion that she say "I'm sorry" will be glad to find out that it worked. Unfortunately, they only could have found that out Monday morning if they were watching CNN's New Day, where Hillary's rebound in the polls was one of the lead stories:

https://youtu.be/kg864lXDgEY

Michaela Pereira: "Hillary Clinton is bouncing back, the former secretary of state opening a commanding lead over Bernie Sanders in a brand new CNN/ORC poll. If Vice President Joe Biden decides not to run, that lead increases dramatically.

Jeff Zeleny: "Hillary Clinton's summertime slide appears to be stabilizing. There's a sign she's putting concerns and controversy around her candidacy to rest... She sits atop the Democratic field at 42%, up from 5 points earlier this month, followed by Bernie Sanders at 24% and Joe Biden at 22%. But if you take Biden out of the equation, her support soars. She's at 57% in our new poll while Sanders has 28%. She's climbing, Sanders is falling."

Those are some great headlines for Hillary Clinton, but unless you were watching CNN, you wouldn't have known about them Monday morning. Over at Fox & Friends, as you might expect, they were busy mocking Hillary Clinton's appearance on CBS News' Face the Nation, while on MSNBC's Morning Joe, they were talking up new speculation about a Joe Biden run, and both shows were reporting on a different CNN/ORC poll, the one that shows Carly Fiorina jumping 12 points from earlier this month, while Donald Trump's lead slipped by eight points following the debate.

The difference is that no one tunes in to Fox & Friends expecting to get political news. On MSNBC, even on Morning Joe, hell, especially on Morning Joe, people do expect to get all of the political news, even if it's covered in a douchey white film. As I've said many times before, every television set in Washington, DC is tuned to MSNBC in the mornings, because it's the only one of the three shows that focuses almost exclusively on political news, and thus, is extremely influential in setting the narrative. It's why I watch it, despite the frequently terrible Joe Scarborough, because if you're in this game, it's where you get to see the game films.

But if they can go three hours without once bothering to mention an important story like Hillary's polling bump, even if they want to spin it or downplay it, then Morning Joe ceases to have even the marginal value it has now. I'd rather sit through CNN's reports on missing planes and car fires than miss out on something I really need to know.

As for that poll, it appears to demonstrate the effectiveness of Hillary's apology, while also likely giving Joe Biden some cover to abandon his potential bid, if he chooses to.

Update: As a Twitter user pointed out, it wasn't a complete shutout, because over an hour into the show, they did have a two-minute discussion of one of the poll's results (they omitted the much larger no-Biden numbers), which I missed because after an hour or so, I fast-forwarded through the rest of the show, and unlike every other poll in the history of cable news, they didn't throw up an on-screen graphic of the poll. In fact, through most of the brief segment, there wasn't even a lower-third chyron.

https://youtu.be/UvthuhxfAJI

Also, for all the Berniacs who keep saying this poll is "debunked" because it didn't sample any voters under age 50, sorry, you're wrong. The crosstabs do, indeed, say "N/A" for younger voters, but that's because the sample size was too small to achieve an acceptable margin of error. From the poll's methodology page:

Crosstabs on the following pages only include results for subgroups with enough unweighted cases to produce a sampling error of +/- 8.5 percentage points or less. Some subgroups represent too small a share of the national population to produce crosstabs with an acceptable sampling error. Interviews were conducted among these subgroups, but results for groups with a sampling error larger than +/-8.5 percentage points are not displayed and instead are denoted with "N/A".