Roger Ailes Has Had Enough of Trump After His Latest Attack on Megyn Kelly

Roger Ailes is demanding an apology for Donald Trump's latest Twitter rant against Megyn Kelly. Good luck with that.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Roger Ailes is demanding an apology for Donald Trump's latest Twitter rant against Megyn Kelly. Good luck with that.
Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 12.17.11 PM

Last night Donald Trump went on another of his thin-skinned, juvenile Twitter rants against Megyn Kelly, calling her a "waste of an hour on Fox" and retweeting somebody who called her a bimbo. I wrote something about it here and explained how startling it was that legendarily defensive Fox News chief Roger Ailes had apparently given Trump carte blanche to beat up on one of the biggest stars in the Fox News universe -- all in the name of holding on to the ratings Trump regularly delivers. My final point was that if Ailes sat quietly while Kelly got beat up like a piñata by Trump and his rabid fans, it would prove that Donald Trump now owns Fox News -- that he's more powerful than Ailes and his unholy creation.

Well, Ailes has apparently decided he's had enough of this shit. Just a little while ago he released an on-air statement standing up for Kelly and demanding an official apology from Trump.

“Donald Trump’s surprise and unprovoked attack on Megyn Kelly during her show last night is as unacceptable as it is disturbing. Megyn Kelly represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at FOX News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise. I could not be more proud of Megyn for her professionalism and class in the face of all of Mr. Trump’s verbal assaults. Her questioning of Mr. Trump at the debate was tough but fair, and I fully support her as she continues to ask the probing and challenging questions that all presidential candidates may find difficult to answer. Donald Trump rarely apologizes, although in this case, he should. We have never been deterred by politicians or anyone else attacking us for doing our job, much less allowed ourselves to be bullied by anyone and we’re certainly not going to start now. All of our journalists will continue to report in the fair and balanced way that has made FOX News Channel the number one news network in the industry.”

It's especially amusing to hear Ailes accuse someone of bullying him without even a hint of irony, isn't it? Man, have the tables turned.

Trump, of course, isn't going to apologize. There ain't a chance in hell of that happening given that it would go against everything Trump stands for and what's endeared him to a particularly virulent strain of the American public. If it did happen, it would signal the end of Donald Trump as an agent of unbowed chaos this election cycle. He'd be through. So the only question remaining, then, is what Ailes is willing to do about Trump's defiance. It should be obvious by now that you simply can't make a nonaggression treaty with Trump since Trump is a giant id that cares about nothing but what it wants at any given moment.

I swear, if we weren't talking about Donald Trump -- someone who can and is doing real damage to this country just by existing -- it would almost be fun to watch Roger Ailes being bent over a barrel here. Maybe we'll luck out and the two of them will resort to just beating each other to death.