Remember When David Letterman Masterfully Exposed Donald Trump's Hypocrisy on China?

This was brilliant.
This was brilliant.
Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 1.31.13 PM

Given we're heading into the Republican presidential debate this Thursday and Donald Trump is the leading candidate in the field, the media is pretty much obligated to cover him whether we like it or not. Regardless of his idiocy, Trump is the man to beat so both Republicans and Democrats alike must start paying serious attention to him.

Trump is apparently running on a pro-American worker platform, promising to bring jobs to America - specifically from China, a country he has been busy bashing. Speaking to CNN’s Jake Tapper back in June, Trump said:

Look, Mexico has not treated us well. Mexico treats us as though we are stupid people, which of course our leaders are. I don’t blame Mexico. China is even worse.

Trump then began to claim that he would bring jobs 'stolen' by the Chinese back to America. "When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let's say, China in a trade deal?" Trump said in June. "They kill us. I beat China all the time. All the time."

"I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created. I tell you that," said Trump. "I will bring back our jobs from China, Mexico and other places. I will bring back jobs and our money."

This sounds great for American workers who genuinely would benefit from giant corporations ceasing their relentless outsourcing of labor to countries like China.

Except Donald Trump has a history of doing the exact same thing. Witness the hilarious unraveling of Trump's mind blowingly hypocritical rhetoric on China during an unfortunate encounter with David Letterman back in 2012:

Not only have Trump's companies shipped potential American jobs to China, Trump's companies have also been trying to ship foreigners into America to take jobs that would otherwise be filled by Americans. Reported Reuters last week:

One of his companies, the elite Mar-a-Lago Club resort in Florida, applied to import 70 foreign workers to serve as cooks, wait staff and cleaners.

A Reuters analysis of U.S. government data reveals that this is business as usual in the New York property magnate's empire.

Trump owns companies that have sought to import at least 1,100 foreign workers on temporary visas since 2000, according to U.S. Department of Labor data reviewed by Reuters. Most of the applications were approved, the data show.

Nine companies majority-owned by Trump have sought to bring in foreign waitresses, cooks, vineyard workers and other laborers on temporary work-visa programs administered by the Labor Department.

The candidate's foreign talent hunt included applications for an assistant golf-course superintendent, an assistant hotel manager and a banquet manager.

While Trump has been making a name for himself through 'straight talk', his track record on his major policy position is demonstrably nonsense. Trump made billions of dollars for himself the way all giant corporations do - through the use of cheap, outsourced labor. The notion that he'll suddenly change his ways and make it harder for the 1% to make more money is laughable, yet he appears to be convincing millions of Americans otherwise. Trump may presenting himself as an alternative to the corporate Republican archetype, but the truth is, he epitomizes it.