Chris Christie Just Lied Right to Jake Tapper's Face

Chris Christie actually did nothing but lie during his interview with CNN's Jake Tapper, but at least one of those lies will probably come back to bite him at Thursday's first Republican presidential debate.
Chris Christie actually did nothing but lie during his interview with CNN's Jake Tapper, but at least one of those lies will probably come back to bite him at Thursday's first Republican presidential debate.
christie

Thanks to Donald Trump and Trump-fueled ridiculousness like Ted Cruz's not-machine-gun "machine gun bacon," not much attention is being paid to the second-biggest mouth in the Republican primary field. If Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) has any luck at all, no one at this Thursday's Republican presidential debate will have seen his interview with CNN's Jake Tapper this week, because among the many lies Christie told was one that could sink his already-meager support with GOP primary voters.

Pretty much all Christie did during that interview was lie, most hilariously when he tried to explain away his flip-flop on Bruce Springsteen, and for which Rachel Maddow promptly busted him. But it was Tapper's full-court press on gun control that really did Christie in. Tapper asked Christie to elaborate on this exchange with Sean Hannity, from 2009:

Christie: “I favor some of the gun control measures we have in New Jersey...”

Hannity: “Bad idea.”

Christie: “We have a densely populated state and there’s a big handgun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don’t support all the things that the governor supports, by a long stretch. But on certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed — we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey.”

Hannity: “Should every citizen in your state be allowed to get a licensed weapon if they want one?”

Christie: “In New Jersey, that’s not going to happen, Sean.”

Hannity: “Why?”

Christie: “Listen, with the Democratic Legislature that we have, there is no way those type of things –“

Hannity: “Would you support it?”

Christie: “Listen, at the end of the day, what I support are common sense laws that will allow people to protect themselves. But I also am very concerned about the safety of our police officers on the streets. Very concerned. And I want to make sure that we don’t have an abundance of guns out there.”

Christie's response barely makes sense on its own terms, since he simultaneously argues that it's good to change your mind, but also that he hasn't changed his mind in 19 years, but listen to what he specifically says about the assault weapons ban:

TAPPER: But you did earlier in your career support the ban on what gun control advocates called assault weapons.

CHRISTIE: Yes, when I was 31 years old.

TAPPER: You don't agree with it anymore?

CHRISTIE: Listen, I think it's a lot more complicated than I thought it was at 31 years old. And I have learned a lot in the last 21 years.

So, yes a long time ago -- by the way, I have changed a lot of my positions over time. Here's the thing. If you're a thinking, breathing human being, and life experience is something you take in, and you never change your mind, then you're stubborn.

I have learned from all my public service. And the positions I have today are positions that come from a long time, nearly 20 years in public life. And I think everybody should take that moment to be able to figure out where they stand after all their lives' experiences.

So, the only thing somebody can point to is something 20 years ago, then that means I have been fairly consistent for the last 19.

To be clear, Chris Christie didn't just "support" the assault weapons ban when he was 31, he was jazzed about it, telling the Star Ledger that "The issue which has energized me to get into this race is the recent attempt by certain Republican legislators to repeal New Jersey’s ban on assault weapons. In today’s society, no one needs a semi-automatic assault weapon.”

In a 1995 campaign flyer, he called repealing the assault weapons ban "dangerous,""crazy," and "radical."

awb

Now, what if I told you that Chris Christie actually supported the assault weapons ban when he was 46 years old? It's true that Christie was wisely vague when he told Hannity that he favored "some of the gun control measures we have in New Jersey," but how about this?

FACT: Chris Christie supports the assault weapons ban and all current gun laws. He opposes attempts to permit conceal and carry laws in New Jersey – hardly the NRA position.

What Soros-backed Media Matters-style liberal Gotcha! outfit did that come from? The Chris Christie for Governor campaign:

THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS
Desperate Corzine already lying about Chris Christie’s Record

Corzine Lie: Christie stands with the NRA

FACT: Chris Christie supports the assault weapons ban and all current gun laws. He opposes attempts to permit conceal and carry laws in New Jersey – hardly the NRA position.

Unlike Jon Corzine, Chris Christie will strictly enforce the gun laws against violent criminals, ending parole against violent felons and making bail harder to get for violent felons. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, under Christie, did nearly 800 gun cases and broke up violent gangs in Camden, East Orange, Newark and Asbury Park, jailing hundreds of gang members. Here’s Corzine’s record: murders increased 9% last year, rapes jumped by 15% and burglaries increased by 7%. (Source: NJ Uniform Crime Report, 2008). While Jon Corzine wants to use gun laws to play the typical petty politics of the past, Chris Christie would toughen gun laws to fight criminals and make New Jersey safer – another job Jon Corzine has failed in as Governor.

Wow, that guy sounds like a real gun-getter! It wasn't until after Christie got elected, and decided he might run for president, that he suddenly discovered his love for guns that can shoot down airplanes.

Christie's flip on assault weapons isn't so bad on its own, but he's going into the debate posing himself as a guy who tells it like it is, against a guy who really does tell it like it is. In that context, Chris Christie can't afford to be this full of crap.

The only good news for Chris Christie is that Megyn Kelly and the other Fox moderators probably aren't such avid readers of The Daily Banter, but here's hoping they make an exception in this case, and call Christie out on his freshest lies.