The Hilarious Hubris of Donald Trump: After Mexico Disaster He Insults All Hispanics, then China

Donald Trump

UPDATE: NBC has now severed ties with Trump over his derogatory statements about immigrants.

One of the major problems egotistical leaders have is their inability to accept reality. While ego may get them to the top, lack of self awareness can often lead to their downfall. From Napoleon Bonaparte to Adolf Hitler, history is littered with maniacal egoists who climbed the ladders of power only to be undone by their own hubris.

Donald Trump has reached the upper echelons of power in America by flipping commercial real estate and becoming a TV celebrity. He now has his eyes on the ultimate prize - the Presidency of the United States - and his ego is fueling a run that no one believes he has a chance of winning. While his ego (and cash) gives him a better chance of than most people in America, his ego is also the reason he won't win.

Take for example, his disastrous comments about illegal immigrants coming to America from Mexico. During his 2016 campaign announcement speech, Trump implied that Mexicans coming over the border are "criminals" and "rapists", leading not only to Spanish TV network Univision severing ties with Trump and ending its Miss America deal, but a large and immediate slump in Latino support. The YouGov poll found that 82 percent of Hispanics do not consider Trump a serious candidate for president - a number so bad Trump would have to marry a Latina and convert to Catholicism if he wanted any chance of redressing it.

A person without Trump's gigantic ego would have listened to their campaign advisors, issued a groveling apology and made a token gesture towards the Latin American population in the form of a charitable donation. Instead, Trump went on the attack, banning Univision employees from his golf resort in Miami and doubling down on his racism by insulting not only all Latinos, but China too. Speaking on CNN's State of the Union on Sunday, Trump told host Jake Tapper:

"I do business with the Mexican people, but you have people coming through the border who are from all over. And they're bad. They're really bad."

"I've spoken to border guards and I said, 'How bad is it?' And they said 'Mr. Trump, you have no idea how bad.' But you have people coming in and I'm not just saying Mexicans, I'm talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they're coming into this country."

So now it's not just Mexicans, but people that are "from all over"  - presumably meaning the entire Latin continent. Not content to leave it there, Trump reiterated his promise to get Mexico to build a wall to keep their criminals out of America:

"Look, Mexico has not treated us well," said Trump. "Mexico treats us as though we are stupid people, which of course our leaders are. I don't blame Mexico. China is even worse."

In a theoretical parallel universe where Trump becomes President, he would have to negotiate delicate trade deals between Mexico, the Latin continent and China. And of course they would be thrilled doing business with  man who called them "rapists", "criminals", and "even worse."

Amazingly, we're only two weeks into Donald's campaign for Presidency and he's managed to offend around 1.8 billion people, or around 1/4 of the world's population. Not exactly the best start one could have hoped for, but then it's not like Trump has noticed.