California Republican Blames Drought Conditions on Abortion and Liberals

Assemblywoman Grove said last week that the drought is being caused by the existence of abortion services in her state. Yes, God is pissed off at California because of abortion, and so the Lord has decided to turn most of the state into the wasteland from the Mad Max films.
Assemblywoman Grove said last week that the drought is being caused by the existence of abortion services in her state. Yes, God is pissed off at California because of abortion, and so the Lord has decided to turn most of the state into the wasteland from the Mad Max films.
130509-shannon-grove

One of the best lines in Aaron Sorkin's short-lived HBO series, The Newsroom, occurred in the pilot episode when Jeff Daniels' character, Will McAvoy, explained why his conservatism isn't very obvious, saying, "I believe that hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure and not gay marriage."

What obviously made the line so incredibly salient and beverage-snortingly hilarious is the patent absurdity of the connection between same-sex marriage and a hurricane -- beverage-snortingly hilarious, that is, for a fleeting second until we remember that there are actual human beings who, in 2015, very seriously believe there's a connection between same-sex marriage, God and the existence of destructive hurricanes. And then the feeling of sinking dread worsens as soon as we realize that some of those people are responsible for passing or not passing laws that impact everyone else. Oh, and one more thing, thousands of people vote for these crazy people every election.

I suppose it's okay if private citizens victimlessly delude themselves into believing that weather events are the consequence of a wrathful God who's punishing us for our, I don't know, gay marriages? Of course, they're horrendously wrong, and probably need to spend a little more time with thick book other than the Bible, but as long as they're not going anywhere near a legislative body or making globally-impactful decisions -- or operating heavy machinery in crowded spaces, for that matter -- fine.

But then there's California Assemblywoman Shannon Grove (R-Bakersfield). Not only does she represent a not-insignificant chunk of California, but she's busily voting on things that impact the most populace state in the Union. And she's nuts.

It turns out, she tells us, the California drought isn't due to the climatological circumstances, likely caused by global warming. Nope. Grove said last week that the drought is being caused by the existence of abortion services in her state. Yes, God is pissed off at California because of abortion, and so the Lord has decided to turn most of the state into the wasteland from the Mad Max films. She also said that Texas was spared from its own drought back in 2013 after Rick Perry signed the fetal pain legislation that was famously filibustered by Wendy Davis. In fact, Grove said, the rain that occurred the night of the bill's signing was literally God's reaction.

"Texas was in a long period of drought until Governor Perry signed the fetal pain bill,” state Assemblywoman Shannon Grove (R-Bakersfield) said, as reported by RH Reality Check. "It rained that night. Now God has His hold on California."

So, God spared Texas, but now He's gunning for California and the only way to break the drought is to ban abortions -- or, at least, to implement a regressive, misogynistic "fetal pain" bill that would effectively ban all abortions after 20 weeks, even though the American Medical Association reported that fetuses don't feel pain until much later in a pregnancy.

But according to Grove's logic, not even banning abortion altogether would do the trick. Apparently, there'd also have to be a ban on liberal politicians. Here's what Grove wrote on her Facebook page:

I believe --and most Americans believe --that God’s hand is in the affairs of man, and certainly was in the formation of this country. The Founders put God in the center of this nation by recognizing Him as a giver of our rights. Is this drought caused by God? Nobody knows. But biblical history shows a consequence to man’s actions; we do know for sure that California’s water shortage crisis has been compounded by liberal politicians’ poor decisions - not properly managing our water resources and refusing to build water storage for decades

Right, let's say Grove has her way and they somehow pass into law a 20-week abortion ban in California. That alone won't solve the drought crisis because the liberal politicians would just screw it all up anyway. In other words, there'd be a drought regardless of the status of reproductive rights in California, so why is Grove telling her people that passing a 20-week abortion ban would solve the problem (I can't believe we have to parse this crapola)? It obviously won't because, one, it's hocus-pocus nonsense and, two, those meddling liberal politicians.

Grove is so grotesquely off the rails, in fact, the head of the California ProLife Council, Brian Johnston, made sure that no one thinks his group actually believes such hooey. "That was never said by me or the California ProLife Council," he told RH Relaity Check. When your anti-choice remarks are too nutty for the ProLife Council, you might want to check your sociopathy.

And again, Grove will go on with her career in public service with this kind of unmitigated nutbaggery informing her legislation as well as her votes. In the year 2015, there are way too many politicians mainstreaming this silliness in the name of oppressing women, the LGBT community or anyone else who Grover condemns as oogy. Being wrong on the issues is one thing, but selling that wrongness while suggesting one has special knowledge of God's decision-making process is batshit crazy.