New NRA President Is Completely Nuts

It's important to underscore how truly difficult it is to say anything about guns and gun control that are more insane than CEO and president Wayne LaPierre whose previous job was scamming Martini, Harding and Taber at Black Jack just before medication time.
It's important to underscore how truly difficult it is to say anything about guns and gun control that are more insane than CEO and president Wayne LaPierre whose previous job was scamming Martini, Harding and Taber at Black Jack just before medication time.
allen_cors

A month or so after the Sandy Hook massacre the National Rifle Association thought it'd be a fantastic idea to roll out a brand new slogan in support of unfettered, unregulated gun ownership. So, while we were all still in shock over what happened in Newtown, the NRA decided unveil its totally not distastefully-timed slogan "Stand And Fight." Because it's never too soon for the most notorious death industry lobbyists to focus on aggressive gun usage shortly after kindergarteners were mass-executed with an AR-15, the most popular rifle in the U.S., and one that continues to be the symbol of Second Amendment purity and unrivaled firepower.

Fast forward several years to this past weekend when Allan D. Cors was elected as the new president of the NRA. Before we go any further here, it's important to underscore how truly difficult it is to say anything about guns and gun control that are more insane than NRA CEO and president Wayne LaPierre whose previous job was scamming Cheswick, Harding and Mr. Martini at Black Jack just before Nurse Ratched called medication time. (For example, LaPierre recently said about Hillary Clinton, "Eight years of one demographically symbolic president is enough." Classy.) But the NRA seems to have promoted a man who could be challenging LaPierre as reigning crazy champion.

While being interviewed for the NRA's propaganda-disguised-as-a-radio-show "Cam and Company," Cors added an extra tag to the NRA's post-Sandy Hook "Stand And Fight" slogan, changing it to "'Stand and Fight,' as we say, or die." It's unclear whether Cors meant "or die" literally, but here we go again with eliminationist language.

In this case, because the NRA is primarily all about intimidating easily-bought members of Congress, Mafia style, the "or die" part of Cors' remarks is specifically referencing the NRA withdrawing financial support in some cases, or actively campaigning against candidates in other cases. For the record, in 2013 alone, the year immediately following the December, 2012 Sandy Hook tragedy, the NRA spent a record $3,410,000 on lobbying U.S. senators alone. That doesn't include running negative ads or contributions to PACs or primary challengers gearing up for the 2014 midterms when the NRA spent $32 million pumped into candidates, lobbying and outside spending.

Put another way: the NRA doesn't screw around, even though its leadership is a sack full of monkeys.

By the way, as if using "or die" as an obvious threat to our elected leaders of both parties, Cors went on to completely misrepresent a new background check law in Washington State. Media Matters' Timothy Johnson reported that "Cors untruthfully said that merely handing someone a gun without a background check is now a crime in Washington." Cors described three scenarios to illustrate his point and told the show's audience that in any of these scenarios you have committed a crime in Washington. See if you can pick out the alleged criminal situations that aren't true.

"You come to my house and I take you to my gun room, and you want to see some of the guns in my collection, and I lift one off the wall and put it in your hands."

"My daughter comes home, she's over 18. She comes home, she says, 'I want to shoot, dad, I want to go down to the farm, the tank farm, and shoot,' and I give my daughter a rifle."

"Go to a gun show, a typical gun show, all the guns are out there on the tables, and I wander by and say, 'You know, that really looks really pretty nifty. Can I look at it?'"

If you guessed "all of them," you guessed wisely. None of these examples qualifies as criminal activity in Washington because the NRA lies all the time. Why should it stop now. Indeed, the following exchanges are perfectly legal without a background check under the new law:

--Short-term loans
--Exchanging guns for target shooting
--Firearm lessons
--Hunters trading guns during an outing
--And exchanges between family members

The Seattle Timesemphasized that law enforcement has already announced that, per Cors' first and third example, that it's perfectly legal for a house guest or a family member to handle your gun. They can stroke it, caress it, they can put it in their mouths if they want to. They won't be arrested.

But here we go again, expecting reason and veracity from the NRA, the same organization that successfully lobbied against a bill called The Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act, a bill that would have merely closed the gun show background check loophole and imposed background checks on internet sales. That's it, and the NRA killed it -- not long after inaugurating its "Stand And Fight" slogan.