Here's Your Very First (Leaked) Teaser Trailer for Star Wars: Rogue One

It's like Christmas for Star Wars fans right now.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
It's like Christmas for Star Wars fans right now.
Screen Shot 2015-04-19 at 5.06.50 PM

True, this was shot off a screen at the Star Wars Celebration and it's all the work of Industrial Light and Magic, given that the movie hasn't actually started filming yet, but it hardly matters. It's still our very first "look" at the debut film in the Star Wars anthology series, Rogue One.

Directed by Godzilla's Gareth Edwards, this movie will reportedly be a prequel that takes place between Star Wars episodes III and IV. What we know of the plot so far is that it will involve the rebels trying to steal the plans for the Death Star, which is why this teaser climaxes with a really ominous image of the thing "that's no moon." Felicity Jones, fresh off her Oscar nomination for The Theory of Everything, takes the lead in this and Edwards says expect it to be more of a war movie than anything we've seen from the Star Wars films so far. The Jedi are extinct in this one, so there's no magic that can save the rebels -- they have to rely on their wits and fighting ability.

Watch this teaser before somebody either takes it down or it gets posted officially (in which case we'll swap out the clip).

Update: As expected, the trailer was removed by Disney. Here's the description from IGN:

The footage we saw opens with December 2016 against a black background. We hear Obi-Wan's monologue about Jedi Knights being the "guardians of peace" from A New Hope, and then see a bird's eye view of a jungle planet.

A TIE fighter zooms overhead and the camera pushes forward to reveal the Death Star looming large in the daytime sky, right up close to the planet. Frantic mens' voices crack over a radio as the title card reveals Star Wars: Rogue One with the word "Anthology" in small letters beneath.

By the way, the picture above is some of the concept art that was shown at the reveal. And if you haven't gotten tired of watching it by now -- and let's face it, you probably haven't -- here's the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Star Wars: Rogue One arrives in December of 2016.