Head to Head With Conservatives on Baltimore, Gay Marriage and Gardening

Banter Editor Ben Cohen went toe to toe with conservatives on Baltimore and Gay marriage on Thom Hartmann's show 'The Big Picture Rumble'. Check out the bust up!
Banter Editor Ben Cohen went toe to toe with conservatives on Baltimore and Gay marriage on Thom Hartmann's show 'The Big Picture Rumble'. Check out the bust up!
akE_Q1EPK7d_pCgzhGdfaiXF1J0-ynzVgf6Aa92

I was on the Thom Hartmann show last night going at it with conservatives on the riots in Baltimore and gay marriage. My co guests were Hughey Newsome of Project 21 and Jennifer Kerns, contributor at The Washington Times and The Blaze. Interestingly, there were many points of agreement over Baltimore and the need to address systemic problems rather than punish offenders. The problems facing African Americans are now so obvious to see that even right wingers are now coming to the conclusion that something must be done other than heavy handed policing.

There was an interesting discussion about plans to regenerate Baltimore and provide jobs for its tragically deprived residents given much of the malaise in the city comes from terrible unemployment figures in many neighborhoods (my suggestion involved urban gardening - a topic I'm increasingly interested in - more on that soon).

On the topic of gay marriage arguments dividing the Supreme Court Justices, the debate took a turn for the worse and I took the opportunity to challenge the other guests on their views on homosexuality. When both Newsome and Kerns tried to avoid my direct questioning, I doubled down making for a pretty uncomfortable situation.

The panel segment starts at the 14:54 mark:

You can find out more about the the urban farming project 'Dreaming Out Loud' here.