Donald Trump Wants to Look at Ted Cruz's Citizenship "Very Seriously"

Get ready, folks. Silly Season has only just begun.
Get ready, folks. Silly Season has only just begun.
o-DONALD-TRUMP-FIRED-facebook

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is absolutely eligible to be president. Period. Whether he should be president is another question (answer: no), but the fact that he was born in Canada to an American mother is largely irrelevant -- other than the hypocrisy of around half of all Republicans, many of whom have dedicated themselves to proving that President Obama was born in Kenya despite the fact that he was born in Hawaii. Which is in the United States, by the way. (We have to make that last part clear because there are people who don't know Hawaii is a state.)

Anyway, it's important for Democrats to make sure that any discussion of Cruz's natural born citizenship is firmly tied to the issue of hypocrisy because it's really, really easy to start there, and then to slowly drift into really believing Cruz's Canadian birth is a serious matter. Frankly, I barely care about the hypocrisy side of it. Beyond that, it's more or less a settled issue. If you're born to a parent who's an American citizen, you're natural born.

Of course Donald Trump isn't satisfied.

“Well he’s got, you know, a hurdle that nobody else seems to have at this moment,” Trump said by phone. “It’s a hurdle and somebody could certainly look at it very seriously.” Noting that Cruz was born in Canada, Trump said, “you’re supposed to be born in this country, so I just don’t know how the courts would rule on it. But it’s an additional hurdle that he has that no one else seems to have.”

Sorry, there's nothing very serious about this entire thing.

But at least he's consistent. However, until he dispatches investigators to Calgary and Cruz's mother's birthplace in Delaware to prove once and for all that Cruz was really birthed by an American citizen, he's still not applying the same level of scrutiny to a Republican presidential candidate. I wonder why that's the case? I wonder why Obama's citizenship and Hawaii birthplace has been so thoroughly investigated, while Cruz's citizenship and Canadian birthplace hasn't. What could be the difference between these two leaders beyond their party affiliation and politics?

Get ready, folks. Silly Season has only just begun.