10 Religious 'Gotcha' Questions Scott Walker Should Answer

Ten religious questions Scott Walker should answer.
Ten religious questions Scott Walker should answer.
ScottWalker

Scott Walker hates "gotcha questions" -- those tricky and often loaded inquiries designed to trip up politicians, especially those with aspirations for higher office. As a man with such ambitions, the Wisconsin governor has been testing the presidential waters while steadfastly refusing to entertain tough questions such as, Is Obama a Christian? Does Obama love America? And, what are your views on foreign policy?

Another question Walker has waved off pertained to the theory of evolution, which is not inherently a political issue, but has become one thanks to the anti-science buffoonery of the Right. With nearly half of Republicans rejecting evolution, it's no surprise Walker would be reluctant to acknowledge evolution as fact. Then again, there are signs hinting that Walker may very well be a creationist and religious nutter of the first order. Last year, for example, he tweeted, “Philippians 4:13,” a New Testament verse that states, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”

The tweet was sent from the governor's official twitter account and not his personal one, but this is the kind of commingling of church and state we've come to expect from conservatives. The tweet itself, however, was boilerplate, and not nearly as interesting as a tweet he posted the day before he became governor in 2011:

https://twitter.com/GovWalker/status/21631872048037888

John Mackett is the pastor at Meadowbrook Church in Wauwatosa, which Walker and his family attend. It's a Pentecostal outfit where members are encouraged to speak in tongues, which Mackett says is the act of "being filled with the Holy Spirit." Actually, it's the act of being filled with and spouting gibberish.

No doubt there are important policy questions Walker must and will answer in due course, but the following are 10 questions I would like to see the governor answer to get a better understanding of his worldview, and whether it involves embracing the end of the world as described in the Book of Revelation.

1. Have you ever spoken in tongues?

2. Do you agree with your church’s Statement of Faith that the Bible is “without error”?

3. Do you believe that god created humans and other animals in their present form, or do you believe that humans and other animals evolved biologically over time?

4. Do you agree with your church’s Statement of Faith that Jesus “provide[s] the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe and only such as receive Jesus”?

5. If so, do you believe that the 73 million Americans who aren’t Christians – including Jews, Muslims, Hindus, nonbelievers, etc. – will go to Hell?

6. Do you believe the eternal torturous damnation of nonbelieving souls an appropriate fate?

7. Do you agree with your church’s Statement of Faith that the Second Coming of Jesus is “imminent”?

8. If so, how imminent?

9. If you believe Jesus is coming back at all, would you look forward to the Second Coming and the accompanying Battle of Armageddon that is said will signal the End Times in the Book of Revelation?

10. In 2009, you told a group of Christian business leaders that when you met your future wife, “That night I heard Christ tell me, 'This is the person you’re going to be with.'" You replied, “Lord, if this is what you want, I’ll try it,” and that it was a matter of “trust and obey.” If one day, you believe Jesus has spoken to you and tells you to do something as a public official, will you do it even if you don't understand it?

The Constitution prohibits religious tests for public office and rightly so, but there's nothing preventing us from asking these questions of Walker or any other politician. Indeed, for the most part the media doesn't prod very much into the religious beliefs of presidential candidates, now matter how ridiculous those beliefs may be. Instead the media prefers to show a deference that is reserved almost exclusively for the subject of religion, which is simply unacceptable considering the incredibly high stakes involved.

Follow me on twitter

RELATED: Obama's probably not a Christian and there's nothing wrong with that