Poor Mike Huckabee Thinks There's a 'Secular Theocracy' Taking Away Christians' Rights

Mike Huckabee looks to be going after the Christian martyrdom vote in 2016.
Mike Huckabee looks to be going after the Christian martyrdom vote in 2016.
Huckster

On Thursday, potential presidential candidate and walking Cool Whip tub Mike Huckabee appeared on something called Life Today. Speaking with televangelist host James Robinson, Huckabee explained that the United States "cannot survive as a republic if we do not become -- once again -- a god-centered nation." No word on yet on whether Huckabee wants us to become -- once again -- an Earth-centered solar system, but he went on to say, "I'm not saying that a person should run [for president] and say, 'Let's have a theocracy' because I don't think we should."

That's when the former Arkansas governor was interrupted by Robinson, who claimed, "We have a theocracy right now. It's a secular theocracy."

If you didn't just facepalm yourself unconscious, let's talk about what a special amount of idiocy that is, but not before getting Huckabee's response: "That's it. It’s humanistic, atheistic, even antagonistic toward Christian faith. And that’s what we need to understand. Our basic, fundamental rights are being robbed from us, taken from us piece by piece."

The notion of a "secular theocracy" is an absurd yet perfectly natural outgrowth of evangelical self-pitying, and it shows the extent to which such extravagances have reached in their minds. Secularism is simply the idea that the realms of government and religion should be separated. It is a principle that's enshrined in the Constitution, whose chief architect was so secular that he believed the existence of congressional chaplains violated it. But good luck telling that to Huckabee, who once said Americans should be "forced at gunpoint" to learn U.S. history from a discredited Christian pseudo-historian and prevaricating crackpot.

Huckabee's grousing has become typical of evangelicals, who in very short order have seen their influence wane markedly, especially on issues such as gay marriage, contraception, prayer in public schools, and religious displays on public property. As a result, a great many evangelicals and internalize these developments as threats to their way of life, especially at a time when rapidly increasing numbers of Americans describe themselves as religiously unaffiliated. Hence, evangelicals by and large possess a ludicrously overdeveloped persecution complex that leads them to believe they're frequently discriminated against, and even more so than black people and Muslims.

Christians like Huckabee have a very low bar when it comes what constitutes deprivation of their rights because they confuse a mere absence of their religion from the public square with discrimination. But persecution is forever on the mind of Huckabee; for it's what his religion was founded on, and he's always in search of a Pontius Pilate. The reality, of course, is quite the opposite. About 74% of Americans, including the president and 92% of Congress, describe themselves as Christian. And thanks mostly to this Christian supermajority, some 53% of Americans said they would be less likely to vote for an atheist for president. Meanwhile only 17% said they would be less likely to vote for an evangelical Christian. It's worth mentioning that just 35% said they'd be less likely to vote for an adulterer.

If and when Huckabee declares he's running for president again, he'll be in desperate need of Christians who fancy themselves modern day martyrs being sacrificed on the altar of secularism. The trouble for them is that their votes will end up being sacrificed on the altar of Huckabee's doomed candidacy.

Follow me on twitter