The Best Of the Banter: GOP's Pissy SOTU Response, We Troll Donald Trump, Salon Is Fake

The week that was, at The Daily Banter.
The week that was, at The Daily Banter.
Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 11.51.06 AM

From the State of the Union to a terrible revelation about the true nature of Salon.com, this week was full of unexpected surprises and political mischief.

Here's the week that was at The Daily Banter.

Needless To Say, Republicans Are Pissy Obama Burned Them During the State of the Union Address

Obama dropped the motherlode of counter-heckling during his State of the Union on Tuesday, silencing Republican lawmakers who clapped upon hearing he had no more campaigns to run by informing them "I know because i won both of them."

As Chez Pazienza writes, the Dark Side of Congress didn't take long to get offended:

"[I]t took no time at all for those very same scolded lawmakers to not only melodramatically lick their wounds to the media but furrow their brows and express disappointment in the president for scolding them, This is, again, despite the fact that several of them applauded like petty little shits when Obama mentioned that his time was just about up."

Donald Trump Was Being a Stupid Shithead On Twitter Again

trump

I, Tom McKay, successfully trolled the Donald on Twitter. Read about how I peaked as a human being and will never do anything worthwhile ever again.

Pope Says ‘You Cannot Insult the Faith Of Others,’ Which Is Why He Shouldn’t Read This

pope1

Hey there, Pope. If you're so cool, then why are you jumping on the anti-Charlie Hebdo bandwagon when you have a perfectly good Popemobile?

In news that will disappoint the pontiff's liberal fans, Michael Luciano reports that the pope has taken a predictably pro-religion stance on the role of religion in public life: "You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." As Mike points out that "Catholic Church is the most seasoned prosecutor of the war on blasphemy with nearly two millennia of service" and ties the Vatican's request for special treatment to its declining power as an institution. Then he tears apart everything from transubstantiation to the Vatican's loatheome stance on birth control. Great stuff.

Why Do Republicans Keep Fucking Up Their State of the Union Responses?

ernst_airlines

Spoilers: The GOP really does suck at delivering SOTU rebuttals (remember Marco Rubio's clammy water break?).Bob Cesca takes you through each of the three stages of Republican post-SOTU syndrome, beginning at serious levels of hog-castrating Joni Ernst and escalating into a full-blown Rand Paul situation. If these are the Obama alternatives the GOP wants us to hear, well, wow.

Subtle Racist Mike Huckabee Seems Fine With Ted Nugent Preying On Underage Girls

hucknuge

Mike Huckabee's new book God, Guns, Grits and Gravy contains a noxious rant about how Jay-Z's promotional work for his super-talented wife Beyonce, in the process "arguably crossing the line from husband to pimp by exploiting his wife as a sex object."

Banter's Tommy Christopher points out an inconvenient little truth about Huckabee: he's long enjoyed the campaign-trail endorsements of Ted Nugent, who literally exploited a 17-year-old girl as a sexual object when he had legal guardianship of her in 1978. Nugent's songs also contain some pretty explicit lyrics, but I guess Huck thinks it's a little better when they're manly and white.

Multi Millionaire Mitt Romney is Now Concerned About Wealth Inequality

romney_documentary

Ben covered Mitt Romney's stinking flip-flop on income inequality, which comes just a few short years after Romney was caught on tape referring to 47% of Americans as benefit-hungry takers. Now Romney is claiming that "the rich have gotten richer, income inequality has gotten worse and there are more people in poverty than ever before" - and it's all the Democratic Party's fault.

As Ben points out, buying Romney's newfound awareness of how all the little people are doing would require overlooking pretty much everything the man has ever said. from his tax proposals to his staggering array of corporate donors. Cynical posturing, pure and simple.

EXCLUSIVE: Salon.com Not a Real Website, Operated By Far Right Hate Group and Koch Brothers

SALON FAKE

This rabbit hole goes deeper than you could possibly imagine. A thorough Banter investigation has revealed that Salon.com is just the public face of a massive conspiracy including everyone from Rupert Murdoch to Iowa hate group Drunks With Guns! U Loot We Shoot. We've got the gigantic charts and partially redacted emails to prove it.