Quote of the Day: Erick Erickson Thinks Everything Sucks Because Obama Hates America

Look at the state of the nation and the world today. Blame the guy in the White House. Repeat ad infinitum.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Look at the state of the nation and the world today. Blame the guy in the White House. Repeat ad infinitum.
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 8.17.31 AM

"Barack Obama does not like the United States. There was a lot of truth when his wife said that for the first time she was proud of her country. The Obamas see the United States as a corrupt and bullying power that needs to be humbled."

-- Erick Erickson

I was looking for something that would kind of sum up the year politically and damn if the right's most obvious in-the-closet bear didn't saunter up to the podium at the Erick Erickson/Chuck Johnson Foundation for the Creation of the Master Ginger Race and hand me a Christmas miracle. The conservative entertainment complex has always blamed Barack Obama for whatever bad news has come along during his presidency. Even events that were well beyond the control of any leader anywhere on the planet could conveniently be hung around the neck of the feckless, incompetent 44th President of the United States. But given the kind of depressing year it was when it came to national and world events, Obama has obviously been nothing short of a catastrophe in the eyes of the right's opportunistic mouthpieces.

In a quick post, Erickson runs through some of the greatest hits of the shittiest things that happened in 2014 and manages -- Dinesh D'Souza-like -- to somehow make it all the fault of Obama and his innate hatred of America.

Russia has invaded and taken over Crimea. ISIS stretches across the Middle East beheading Americans. North Korea now demands we seek its permission before we watch movies. Police officers are being gun downed in New York to the applause of Obama voters. And 36 Cubans were just executed by Cuba in celebration of its new found relationship with the United States.

This is how Barack Obama has fundamentally transformed America.

Yeah, while we're at it we may as well throw in Gaza, MH370, Mike Brown and Eric Garner, the Elliot Rodger killings, Ebola, Suey Park's stupidity, Martin and Patrow's conscious uncoupling, Robin Williams's suicide, Tan Suit-gate, every single thing that every single person was outraged over this year and so on and so on. No matter what it was, there was somebody within the conservative media clown car ready to tie it to Obama, which made that news positively migraine-inducing in addition to it simply being horrible on its own.

In 2014, not only did awful things happen but the reaction to those awful things added an extra layer of awfulness to their overall impact. Guys like Erickson never missed a chance to attack Obama, while on Twitter, if you could come up with a hashtag catchy enough you could certify your approval of or objection to whatever was going on in the world.

It would be nice to say that things are going to change in 2015 -- that they'll somehow get better -- but I think that's hopelessly naive. The news was bad this year, but the truth is it hardly takes bad news to provoke the kind of statements that we regularly see from Erickson and his ilk. Reaction is now its own entity -- as predictable and essential to our culture as the events that inspire it.