President Obama Just Crushed It On 'The Colbert Report'

President Obama was pretty damn funny.
President Obama was pretty damn funny.
Obama

While some conservatives will predictably bash President Obama for appearing on The Colbert Report Monday because it's beneath the dignity of the presidency or whatever, it's usually entertaining when the president -- no matter who it is -- shows a sense of humor. And despite the criticism lobbed at Obama for his appearance on Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis earlier this year, Obama is hardly the first president to display his funny side. This includes Richard Nixon, who wasn't above appearing on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In to say, "Sock it to me?"

Before sitting down for the interview with Colbert in Washington, D.C., Obama was part of a brilliantly scripted opening bit in which he walked out on set in the middle of Colbert's monologue. Obama proceeded to do a solid five and a half minute segment of "The Word," although to make it more presidential it was renamed "The Decree." The president read the script as Colbert would, displaying good comedic timing while perfectly mimicking some of Colbert's mannerisms in talking about the Affordable Care Act.

"Nation, as you know," said Obama, "I, Stephen Colbert, have never cared for our president. The guy is so arrogant, I'll bet he talks about himself in the third person."

The Colbert Report will tape its final show this month with Colbert moving to CBS to host The Late Show, but after Monday's episode, Comedy Central might want to think about revamping the show with a new host.

Even if they have to wait until January 20, 2017.

Follow me on twitter